The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 108 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 4
1
New Guy
New Guy
1 Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 4
I was lucky enough to score an electric shift unit to replace my vacuum unit but I need a wiring diagram. Anybody have one? Also, I have converted to an automatic transmission. Will that cause issues?

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Please don't double post.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
3 wires go to your selector. A hot one and then the other 2 go to the shift motor. If you have a push pull switch, up is high axle. If you have a shift knob, to the left is low axle. I don't remember if the terminals are marked. If not you will just have to do it by trial and error. If you have a speedo adapter, splice it into the low axle circuit. Originally the hot wire came from the ignition switch, I would recommend going through a relay because you probably have all you can handle through the ignition switch. There is nothing to interfere with your automatic, but I don't think you will be able to split shift. I think you will have to start in low axle, let the automatic shift into high and then shift the axle into high.

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 502
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 502
I hope this switch to electric works for you. I have Eaton unit in an 85 chevy which always wanted to blow some component in the circuit board leaving me stuck in the range I was in at the time.
I pulled the unit out of the diff. and checked it and lubed it and it still happened 3 times in three years.
I concluded that it was a design problem.

Dan


Remember your freedom - US Veterans provided it.
101st Screaming Eagles
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
The older electric shift units had points in them and no electronics. I'm not sure what year they changed from the points to electronics, but the old design was very reliable. If the points failed to make contact, they could be filed on the side of the road. I think the old style can be identified by having a 3 bolt motor and the electronic a 2 bolt motor. I think the early electronic units were not very reliable.

Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 28
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 28
Hi,
I saw your post and thought you maybe able to help me. I have a '53 6400 2 ton with the 2 speed rear. Like you, I have blown the diaphram out of the vacuum differential shifter. Did your installation of your electric shifter work?
If so how did the installation go? Do you have a source for the shifter?

Thanks

Phil Stewart


Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
I have a 53 GMC with a vacuum 2 speed. It is totally different than the electric shift box. I think the only way would be is to swap the whole rear end which would be quite simple. I haven't tried to shift mine. I had a vacuum leak so I just plugged the line at the intake manifold and put the axle in high range. I don't need a two speed because I have a GMC 270 and all I do with it is haul trash. It has a dump bed similar to yours. One of these days I have intentions of chasing down the vacuum leak. I assumed the post made by 59Shorty indicated that he had found a complete electric rear end and was wondering about the wiring.

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
It's been many a year since I worked on those but I don't think the drives will interchange. The electric were a lot smoother shifting.

Last edited by Wrenchbender Ret.; 03/25/2010 4:52 PM.

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0