The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bill Marlow, TUTS 59, Wally / Montana, Shade Baby, 1 invisible), 80 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,385
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#56576 02/15/2006 10:47 PM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 738
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 738
So heres the deal. I pulled the dipstick in my 235 (1961) today and the oil is watery with white in it. From my experience this means that I am in need of a new head gasket. I had the oil changed 2 weeks ago. This worries me a bit, but I think that I caught it in time to fix it before really bad things happen.

Now, here's the qestion. How hard is it to swap a head gasket on this motor. Seems to me like it should be pretty easy to do. Pull the valve cover, take off the rockers, pull the push rods, take off the head, and there I am? I am going to exchange the head at the local machine shop for a rebuilt one, is this OK? Should I have my head rebuilt and reuse it? I am also going to buy new pushrods and rockers since I will be in there anyway. Is there any other things I should do while I have the head off?

Any thoughts and comments will be greatly appreciated. I have never done a head gasket before but there is a first time for everything and this seems like a good time to learn.


"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton

My Machine
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Fort Knox,

If you have a head gasket leaking into the crankcase (oil), and you have run the engine for any length of time, the oil will be creamy white like a vanilla milkshake.

Watery, meaning not viscous, might be misleading. Streaks of white, or globs of white can happen from little use, or not getting the rig up to full temperature.

A head gasket failure between water jacket and pan isn't usually the case. A blow between cylinders is much more common, and this might intrude into the water jacket.

The conditions that would only involve the cooling system and a path to the pan, I think, would be rare.

It sounds like you "want" to do this task come hell or highwater..go for it!

If you don't want to do it..test further. A conventional "blown" head gasket will show itself in a whole bunch of obvious ways.

Stuart

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
I would do a dry/wet compression test first and fully diagnose the problem.


1946 1-ton Panel
1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 738
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 738
what is dry wet compression test??


"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton

My Machine
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Do you get any white smoke out the exhaust? Pull the plugs & check for any coolant on them or in the cylinder. You have the procedure pretty down pat but you will want to pull the manifolds too. If you leave the exhaust pipe hooked up they will set aside. You will probably want to keep the same head & have a machine shop do a valve job & check for cracks & surface grind it.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
Knox;
1. Pull all your plugs
2. Starting with No.1 or No 6 Cylinder screw in the compression gauge and take a dry reading from each of the cylinders
3. Make sure you write down the readings
4. Repeat the process, only this time, squirt a small amount of oil into each cylinder before you crank the engine. Approx. a teaspoon full
5. Compare your readings.
- the dry readings should be lower than the wet readings, if not this could indicate bad rings
- two cylinder next to each other indicate the head gasket is blown between the two cylinders
- My 48-51 sop manual says compression should be about 110 Lbs. with all cylinders within 5-10 punds of each other


1946 1-ton Panel
1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 235
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 235
Another quick test is take the radiator cap off (engine cold) and fill it to the top. Start the engine and let it run for a while.If the gasket is leaking, you might be able to see air bubbles come up.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 738
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 738
I am going to go out and check the plugs. I filled the radiator this morning so I will cheack the level to see if it is down. I called a machine shop and they told me that it would cost $250 to rebuild the head, new seats, valve job, surface grind. Is that reasonable? Thanks for the tips, I will do my best to try them all!


"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton

My Machine
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 226
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 226
your white or wet water in pan or on dipstick depending on how much is almost normal. Like someone said if it is driven cold alot... what it is is condensation buildup. That happens alot on older engines that dont have pcv valves...... if its not mixed into the oil...hence like someone else said like a milkshake,,,i wouldnt worry about it too much... the thing ya can do is check the breather on the valve cover...and also the downdraft tube to see if its not restricted...


What it will say on my Tombstone: "Boy, that guy sure owed alotta people Money"
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 738
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 738
ALL IS WELL!!!! I have decided that I was being a little bit overzealous. The oil is clean and black. I pulled the drain plug, no creamy stuff or anti-freeze. I pulled all of the plugs and none of them were dirty or coolant covered. I checked and re-checked the oil, clean and black. My anti-freeze levels have not dropped since this morning. With the cap off there are no bubbles coming up when engine is running. I think that all is well and I was overly concerned. Thanks for all of the advice, I really appreciate it. This page is a Godsend.


"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton

My Machine
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 531
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 531
For future reference Knox, $250 is a good price


Larry Bear

55.5 Chevy 3100 Panel
In the Stovebolt Gallery


Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 395
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 395
if you are concerned about coolant in the oil inject shop air into each cyl and watch radiator for bubbles be sure to fill full of coolant to top of neck each cyl will have to be at tdc or engine will spin...doc

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 47
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 47
I had this problem in my '57. The draft tube was in place, but the oil fill cap was not vented. So even though the engine could get to operating temps, the engine could not breathe. I replaced the fill cap and have not seen the build-up since.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0