The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (LAROKE, Otto Skorzeny, Chip O, Hotrod Lincoln, Gdads51, 1 invisible), 80 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,131
Posts1,056,369
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#562167 08/05/2009 2:01 AM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 159
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 159
I started to put my transmission to the enginge. Got the flywheel on and the clutch (11 inch) and presure plate went to put the bell housing on and found out it the wrong one it for a 10.5. I found another bell housing but don't know what it fits 10.5 or 11 here is the number 462606 so can anybody tell me what it fits. Every time I try a search all I get is a bunch of stuff I don't want to know

thanks


1938 Gmc 1/2 ton
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy TheShoer, could you give us an idea what year stuff you're playing with, and what engine???

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 159
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 159
Its going between a 250ci('70 nova I think) and a T5 and all that is going in a 37 GMC


1938 Gmc 1/2 ton
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 725
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 725
The 462606 bellhousing is for a late '70s - early '80s "A" body.
It is for a 153t flywheel with a 10 1/2" clutch. It also has a weird release arm because of the size of the "A" body. I would look for ANY 1/2 through 1 ton truck bellhousing from 1963 through 1978 or so.

best wishes,

Les

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 159
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 159
Thanks Roadmark would you be able to give me some numbers I could look for


1938 Gmc 1/2 ton
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
Originally Posted by Roadmarks
The 462606 bellhousing is for a late '70s - early '80s "A" body.
It is for a 153t flywheel with a 10 1/2" clutch. It also has a weird release arm because of the size of the "A" body. I would look for ANY 1/2 through 1 ton truck bellhousing from 1963 through 1978 or so.

best wishes,

Les
what year did they change the size of the frt bearing retainer hole?
ron

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 725
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 725
To TheShoer,

You want a 621 type bellhousing for a v8 which has the large starter bulge. See; http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/engines/bellhousings.html, but there a bunch of aluminum bellhousings out there that will work as well or better since you have to fab up everything anyway. I don't have a number list for the aluminum ones, but it should be on line.

To padresag (Ron),

I can't answer that, but I believe it is more based on application and engine than year. Most '60s 'Vettes used a "small hole" bellhousing with a 153t flywheel for a 10 1/2" clutch until about 1967, except the 427. The 6 cyl trucks from the same period with Muncie transmissions had the big hole to fit the trans and 160t 11" clutches. Go figure.

best wishes,

Les

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 159
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 159
Thanks Roadmarks I read that link before and it did not quite answer my questions I have found a couple of numbers that will accept an 11 clutch. All I can say is I just don't remember going through all this stuff 35 years ago when I was in high school working on cars and trucks.


1938 Gmc 1/2 ton

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0