The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Swami29, Otto Skorzeny, Gray_Ghost, Youngin' Tut 59), 143 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,114
Posts1,056,605
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#561009 08/01/2009 3:18 AM
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 137
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 137
We got a new exhaust system put on the '54 3600 ('55 235, 4spd) today. Nice and quiet, now.

However, I noticed that I now have bluish/white smoke coming out of the exhaust at hot idle in the driveway. It's not terrible, but it's noticeable. I've run this motor quite a bit over the last several weeks with just the exhaust manifold and never noticed any smoke. Is there anything that adding a new exhaust could've caused here, or is it just that the smoke is more condensed in the tailpipe than it was from the manifold so it's more noticeable?

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
I believe you answered your own question !

Joe

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 565
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 565
Depending on the type of pipe used, I think it could have had a protective coating that may now be burning off. Either way, hopefully its nothing to worry about.


"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just leave me alone, you're starting to freak me out."

1957 GMC 150
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
Now, don't do this at home...
But I had a Honda spree scooter when I was in university, I noticed the same thing. In order to prolong the fun, I used to fill up the muffler a little bit, well okay allot with non flammable parts washing solvent. Man, the trail of smoke, it was as awesome as pouring Marvel mystery oil down a carb.

My brother's friend's grandpa, who was also famous for his horseradish sauce, always maintained that if a little oil could preserve the muffler, then coating the inside with grease would be helpful. In fact, he used to cut a square access hatch in his muffler, so he could put new grease in every once and a while. For some reason the grease would "get used up" after a while. You could see him coming across the prairie for miles.

Good times.


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 206
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 206
Must be something about Horseradish. My grandfather used to eat it straight out of the jar and he did crazy thing like the muffler grease.


Dave Chapman
The Hollister Road Company
713-937-0387
[email protected]
www.hollisterroad.com
www.thoroco.com
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 137
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 137
Yeah, we just thought of that one, too. I'm going to run it again tomorrow for a while and see what happens. If it eventually stops, we'll have our answer.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0