The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (1955 1 Series, 49choptop, 3800GUY, Shade Baby), 99 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,274
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#560325 07/30/2009 2:20 AM
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 11
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 11
I own a '71 C20, 350 eng, TH350, long bed, coil rear springs, 4:10 posi rear. I would like to install a 454 BB, and I'm concerned with clearance for headers. This engine is currently installed in my '86 K1500. *Also, I know I've got size issues with an aftermarket "Be Cool" aluminum radiator. Do you'all know of anyone installing a 454 in a stock C20? I believe it should bolt right up to the TH350. Thanks in-advance for your comments & info.


1971 Chevy C-20 Fleetside Longbed1986 GMC K10 Rock Crawler, 2007 Silverado Z71.
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
The 454 will bolt right in, just need the correct motor mounts. The 396/402 was a factory option on thes trucks, so it won't be an issue. I would suggest going to a TH400 behind that big block, though. That's what the original BB trucks ran.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
Or go with a 4L80E and trans controller to get overdrive.


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 11
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 11
I have a 700R4, but it's for a 4WD truck. Thanks for the replies. I'm mostly worried about clearance for the headers, and that $600.00 aluminum radiator. I was going to put this '71 cab & front clip on a built '86 GMC 4x4 frame. I've decided to keep the '71 stock except the engine. I love my 454, and I know it will breath new life in my C20.


1971 Chevy C-20 Fleetside Longbed1986 GMC K10 Rock Crawler, 2007 Silverado Z71.
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 239
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 239
The 454 will bolt in on 350 mounts, they are in the same location. A decent set of headers should clear all your accessories. If your current radiator is keeping the 350 cool, it should do OK in all but extreme conditions with a 454. Same with your TH350.

Devin


If you can't hose it out it ain't a truck

55 3100
63 Corvair Monza
64 El Camino
72 240Z
01 Suburban
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I agree the 454 will bolt in, but my experience with big blocks is they make lots of heat. I'd look for a bigger radiator like they used in big block trucks.

And if you stay the the TH 350 either drive real nice or carry a spare.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 11
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 11
I'll take it easy on the TH350, but I've been told that tranny can be beefed-up to handle 500 HP. Don't know if that's true. My 454 only puts out 365-375 HP, I think I'll be okay. My aluminum "Be Cool" radiator is currently installed in my '86 GMC, I'll have to fabricate brackets to implement its installation in the '71's radiator core support bracket. Inner fender wells might be a problem touching my headers. So, I might just use stock exhaust manifolds, if I can locate some. Otherwise, I'll trim/beat a little metal out of the way. Thanks again for the responses. smile


1971 Chevy C-20 Fleetside Longbed1986 GMC K10 Rock Crawler, 2007 Silverado Z71.
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
Jeff, Jegs have a alum. radiator that you can pick the size. I bought a double core for less than 250 and it is great.

Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 11
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 11
Thanks for the Jegs info. I have 2 electric fans located on the back side of the radiator, and a third one in front, for pushing air (for emergencies only). I think it would save a lot of money if I could retro-fit/shoe-horn this radiator onto the '71's core support bracket.


1971 Chevy C-20 Fleetside Longbed1986 GMC K10 Rock Crawler, 2007 Silverado Z71.
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
I still say, go with a 4L80e and controller. The 4L80E is the transmission that GM put behind the 454's and 496's. Its an electronic overdrive version of the old TH400

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Electronics/default.asp


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0