The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (Nick in Manitou, Gray_Ghost, Shade Baby, J Lucas, TUTS 59, Bill Hanlon, papas52, 2 invisible), 120 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,119
Posts1,056,313
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#558813 07/25/2009 6:22 PM
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 57
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 57
Hi guys,
does anyone know if it is possible to find a 6 lug drum (front) that fits an 8 lug truck? Meaning, can I pull off my 8 lug drum and replace it with a 6 lug without changing anything else in the front end?
I put a 6 lug rear end in my 3/4 ton, but now I have 6 lugs in the rear and 8 lugs in the front. I want to keep the truck drum brakes. So basically I am looking for front 3/4 drums that only have the 6 lug pattern. Does any company make this?
Thanks much


1966 Chevy C-20 Fleetside Longbed
In the Gallery
Photobucket pictures

"Better get busy livin' or get busy dying" ~ ...Morgan Freeman
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 47
I
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
I Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 47
Don't know what year you're workin on....but, 3/4's have larger spindles and bearings. Easiest way would probably be to change out entire front axle for a half ton (6-lug). Maybe find someone who changed over to IFS.Should be a bolt in.

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
The answer is probably no, but without knowing exactly what you have its hard to say.

I have a 3/4-ton with six-lug hubs, but its a '91 K2500. Some early 3/4-tons were six-lug. I don't know if the spindles are the same size as later eight-lug trucks or not.

What do you have?


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
You'll have to change the spindles, and possibly the control arms as well, if the 1/2 ton balljoints won't fit. Basically, a reverse version of what guys do to get front disks on the '63-'70 trucks. You might consider using the disk brake spidles, with the later balljoints for 1/2 ton, then use the 6 lug aftermarket rotors. That way, you get better braking and 6 lug.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 57
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 57
thanks guys,
sorry I forgot to mention what I have.
It is a 66 3/4 ton fleetside, with manual transmission.
thanks again, keep the tips coming!


1966 Chevy C-20 Fleetside Longbed
In the Gallery
Photobucket pictures

"Better get busy livin' or get busy dying" ~ ...Morgan Freeman
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I'd swap the whole front crossmember.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0