The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Ponchogl, Leo), 67 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,681
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 39
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 39
Has anyone ever installed the 3.55 ring and pinion in a late thirties axle? I understand it's necessary to use a '40 to '53 carrier - are there any other concerns that anyone knows of? I've heard the the torque tube shaft may be a different length, but I don't know if that will be a factor.

Rob


1938 HC half-ton - Buford
1954 Chevy 3600
2024 Chevy Colorado
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
Rob-Roy, Great looking little truck btw. I would think Mr. Patrick himself would have ALL the answers for you, may try to give him a call. And tell him Jim from Turlock CA sent you.
Sorry I've never installed that piece but hang on here and I'm sure the bolters will be giving you good info.
Regards
Jim



It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

Follow Jim's advice.

Patrick is a great Guy. If you have not bought the parts yet, tell Patrick that you were hoping for the 1938 Stovebolter discount.


Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 278
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 278
I looked at doing the same thing with my 39. I spoke to Patrick about it. He is indeed a great guy and believed it could be done but appeared uncertain about the details. I had a 41 differential available and started comparing it with my 39 and found at least two issues.
1. Axle housing has the differential opening shifted ½” to the left on the 41. This is reflected in the different lengths of the 41 axles (the left is shorter than the right). On the 39, they are the same length. If you used the 41 pumpkin in the 39, your torque tube would be off center by ½”.
2. Propeller shaft and torque tube were different lengths. You would need to modify toque tube and propeller shaft and use different u-joints.
Given these and other difficulties, I have for now, not attempted the conversion. It would seem to make more sense to swap in a complete modified 40-46 differential. This would still require modification of the torque tube/propeller shaft. I could not easily do this with the 41 I had. It is from a ½ ton and my 39 is a ¾ ton. They have different axle housing diameter and spring placement. I would also like to hear from anyone who succeeded in the conversion and the issues they addressed. There are probably other things that I have over looked.

Last edited by Donf; 07/11/2009 4:06 PM.
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
1940 was the first year in trucks to use a Hypoid rear end. Patrick's gear set is a Hypoid design and will only work in 40-54 diffs.

FYI, Hypoid means the pinion makes contact below the center line of the ring gear.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
I ran a complete 54 passenger rear end 3:55s for a while in my 46, needs a few mods but not difficult.

If you need 6 lugs, just stick the 54 torque tube into a '48 and back passenger car axle.

Last edited by JiMerit; 07/11/2009 11:55 PM.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0