The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jon G, Guitplayer, Wally / Montana), 123 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,269
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 72
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 72
Hi all,

I need to replace the tires and wheels on my 46 1/2 ton.

I've read on previous topics that the 225/75-R16 is the tire to replace the 6.50x16's on my 46 1/2 ton. It has the correct height specs, so that's what I'm planning on using.

Is there a source for painted steel 16x4 replacement wheels that will take the standard Chevy hubcap? I'm restoring the truck to drive, but would like to keep it looking as stock as possible.

Also, how does the 3:55 rear end work with the 3 speed transmission (I'd like something I can drive on the Interstate and I've got the stock 4:11).


Thanks for your assistance.


Larry

46 Chevy 1/2 ton stake - family truck for 78 years
USAF 75-81
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
runnjump, I'm running original 16" wheels with radials on my 46. Can't remember the size right now but they look the same height as the originals. Check out the gallery for some pictures.

I'm also running a 3:55 rear with the orig 3spd. It works fine on the freeway. I wouldn't want to drive it at 70, but it will cruse at 60 all day.

Hope this helps
George

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 107
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 107
Do you guys know where 16" rims that will take a stock hub cap can still be purchased. My truck came with 3 15" and 2 16".
I have even been thinking about getting a set of nostalgia wheels with the beauty ring part of the wheel.
Thanks Brian


1946 1/2 ton
I'm not addicted I just don't know when to stop
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
[img]http://webpages.charter.net/jkornmann/Moving%20Day.JPG[/img]

I bought Trailmark 215/285 R16's at my local goodyear dealer. I don't think they look too bad. No rubbing issues and they ride like a dream. The rims were blasted and powdercoated and I am running tubeless without issues. No air loss at all.

I too had 2 15's and 2 16's. I went with the 16s for taller tires and more options.

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 72
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 72
Thanks for the information guys. That's exactly what I needed.

Little horse, I am also looking for a supplier for the 16" wheels that will take the stock hub cap. I ran across a web site that offered them a couple of months back, but I cannot remember the company name. If I do, I'll be sure to let you know.


Larry

46 Chevy 1/2 ton stake - family truck for 78 years
USAF 75-81
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 348
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 348
i have a set of four matching 16" wheels that will fit the original hub cap for your truck, if your intrusted you can email me at [email protected]


1949 SUBURBAN
In the Gallery
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 117
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 117
I have 4 16X4.5 stock wheels if you are interested. let me know at [email protected]


cgresham1212
If you don't drive it, why have it?
55 1st Series 3100 5 window

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0