The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (55shaker, MickeyP, Bill Hanlon, 3B, Gdads51, Ridgeback, Gray_Ghost, 32Fordpuchoptop), 112 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,118
Posts1,056,304
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#550491 06/28/2009 7:42 AM
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 47
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 47
What's this oil line for?

oil line pic

It's on a '61 235. It runs to the oil pressure tee. Do I need it? I've got the factory assembly manual and don't see any drawing with it.

Also, where would an oil filter plug in. Would it plug in here? oil filter location?

61cheevy #550503 06/28/2009 11:48 AM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 469
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 469
You mystery oil proably runs around the back of the engine to about the middle of the head to help carry oil to the rocker arms. Yes the oil filter will plug in there if ti is a 235.

ttodd #550688 06/29/2009 12:41 AM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
The lystery line is just what ttodd says, to run oil to the rockers. It is not original equipment, probably added by a po because the oil fed got pugged up due to lack of maintainance.
The oil filter does go to the 2 ports circled. Note that the mystery line is hooked to the back one. That port is the pressure feed for the filter. The other port is the return, and dumps back into the pan.
If you're going to overhaul the engine, I would suggest getting rid of the mystery line, as it is unecessary, then add a filter to prevent the oil feed from getting plugged in the future.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 47
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 47
Thanks guys!.

I suspected that's what the mystery line was for. I was gonna run the engine with the valve cover off to see how the rockers were getting oiled, from the tube or somewhere else. Normally, how would oil get to the rockers?

I was hoping to avoid overhauling the engine. Any suggestions on where the "clog" might be or how I could track it down?

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
On your engine, there is a drilled passage in the block for it. Here is a pic from a shop manual (it's a '59 manual, but is the same) that shows where the passage is.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 47
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 47
Longbox, thanks for the info. I have the factory shop manual and found the same illustration. Dunno why I didn't look there first.

I plugged the oil line, took off the valve cover, started the engine and no oil was getting to the rockers. Is there any way of getting to the blocked oil passage without removing the engine? It looks like I can get to the vertical passage by removing the head. What about the horizontal passage?


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0