The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Steelonsteel, F100Ranger, Naturalthud, 1 invisible), 93 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,140
Posts1,056,466
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#54040 12/27/2005 3:32 AM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
I will be rebuilding my SM420 4-speed transmission very soon and I would like to get some opinions about what oil I should use in it when it's rebuilt. The Novak site where I ordered my rebuild kit recommends a type GL-4 rated oil from Stalube or Redline, but they do not specify the visosity rating or how much I will need. Does anyone recommend any particular brand and viscosity? How many quarts will I need for my freshly rebuilt SM420? I found a place selling Redline MT90 Manual Transmission Fluid, which is a 75W90 GL-4 for $8.95 a quart.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MT90

The 1954 service manual states that a SAE 50 oil should be used. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Jim


1954 GMC 1/2-ton Longbed
1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport
#54041 12/27/2005 3:56 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
cujo,

justferyerinfo...SAE 50 motor oil is the equivalent of a AGMA 90 wt gear lube. The Redline 75W90 sounds like the cats meow to me..pour it in till it pours out!

Stuart

#54042 12/27/2005 4:14 AM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
Thanks atomarc. Do you have any idea how many quarts I will need for a SM420?


1954 GMC 1/2-ton Longbed
1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport
#54043 12/27/2005 4:26 AM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
Redline also offers a MTL manual transmission fluid that is a 75W/80W GL-4 gear oil.

automarc do you think that MT-90 is better for my application than the MTL?

I feel I am definitely going to go with one of Redlines manual transmission gear oils from the reading I have done on other forums.


1954 GMC 1/2-ton Longbed
1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport
#54044 12/27/2005 5:12 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
cujo8,

Mr. Google tells me your transmission takes 5 1/2 pints of gear lube. The Redline site states the MT 90, being a 75W/80 is a tad heavier than the MTL product. Your 5.5 pints would equal 2.75 quarts.

I would opt for the heavier one...this ain't no BMW with fine German tolerances! wink

Stuart

#54045 12/27/2005 2:56 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
Thanks Stuart! You have been very helpful.

Jim


1954 GMC 1/2-ton Longbed
1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport
#54046 12/28/2005 12:25 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
My .02

My rear-end (inliner) says for me NOT to use any Stalub products. He's seen the inside of more rear ends than I care to think of and been doing that for 28yrs.

Period

I thought stalube was good, but I don't know 1/4 of what he has forgotten.


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
#54047 12/28/2005 12:38 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Jim,

I won't cast dispersions on your mechanic..but if he has been doing it for 28 years and Sta-lube has been kicking around for 28 years too, I would say that means something.

I have never attended a board meeting at a major oil company gathering, but I can't imagine they sit around and say " how can we build and sell a inferior product". There are lots of myths out there, especially about oils and greases. smile


Stuart

#54048 12/28/2005 12:44 AM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
50 weight motor oil and 90 weight gear oil are the same viscousity.

I use 85w90 in my SM420, works fine, runs quiet, doesn't leak. GL-4 or GL-5 are fine, just don't use hypoid gear lube or it will eat up the synchros.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
#54049 12/28/2005 3:39 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
4ontheFloor,

My limited lubrication experience has been with Standard Oil Co. They made about 6 different gear lubes for transmissions and rear ends. All but one were classified "for hypoid use" and were recommended for every standard transmission made since the dawn of time.

There is no additive in these lubricants that will "eat up a synchro". I would guess if you looked at the spec sheet for the 85w/90 gear lube you are using, somewhere you would find a notation approving it for use in automotive rear ends..hypoid gears. I think this is one of the pesky myths! eek


Stuart

#54050 12/28/2005 3:53 AM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
cujo8,

check this out:

----- this text taken from the following URL ---

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/sm420.htm


When refilling your 420 with gear oil, choose a GL-4 rated oil instead of GL-5. The latter has a higher sulphur content that is mildly corrosive to the bronze alloy synchros of the this and many other transmissions that do not have composite synchronizers. StaLube and RedLine are brands to look for, among others.

We recommend that you select a conventional lubricant or a para-synthetic in lieu of the full synthetics.

--- the above text is from the above URL at Novak Adapters website ---


If those guys don't know.. then it isn't to be known.

Other good info. about the 420 there also...

hope this helps...

-W

#54051 12/28/2005 4:17 AM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
Stuart, Josiah - "hypoid" is a term used interchangeably w/ "EP" or 'extreme pressure' and has to do w/ the cut of the gears , sort of curved for gradual meshing, so require oil additives that work against 'sliding' - 'non-hypoid' are the straight, square cut gears that mesh much more 'harshly' - it's the rear [ring/pinion] that are normally hypoid, trans gears aren't

the problem w/ hypoid rated oils in the trans is they defeat the friction needed by the sliding syncros to work properly - so I'm told grin maybe as Novak sez the additives in hypoid oild are more sulpherous as well

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0