Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (Hotrod Lincoln, MickeyP, Peggy M, 55shaker, klhansen, Craig /49 Panel, Shaffer's1950, Otto Skorzeny),
69
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,132 Posts1,056,386 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 15 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 15 | I have been trying to find out what engine my 1955 2nd series has in it. i think that it is a 235 but there is no casting number on it. i dont know if it was ground off or if the factory forgot toinclude the number in the casting. so could anybody help me with this
Last edited by jmiller1955; 05/06/2009 4:41 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,464 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,464 | What is the stamped number on the boss just behind the distributor? | | | | | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 | the number you want is 'Cast' not stamped, can be found below or near the fuel pump. Also get the 'cast' number off the head will help. Could be a 261, look just above the starter for the 'II' captains bars, but some early 235s had this marking. | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | Ideally, both numbers would be best to get an accurate ID. The casting number JiMerit mentions will get you in the ballpark, but the stamped number behind the distributor that waldo53 mentions will give the original application. However, if the engine was a service replacement that was installed after the truck was originally sold, then it may not have that number, as the usually were not stamped. Once you get the casting numbers, check here to decode them. If you have the serial number from behind the distributor, post it here. I have the truck numbers (and some pasenger car) up to '72.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 15 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 15 | There is no number by the distributor, the head is a 235 head | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Here are locations of casting codes and the engine number on late 235/261 engines. These locations might be the same on your engine, Post the casting codes AND date codes for your head and block. People here will be in a better position to help you. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 388 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 388 | When did Chevrolet move the casing numbers from near the fuel pump to the location shown in tclederman's link? Was it with the other changes from the the 1954-55.1 engine? Here are the casing number locaions on a 1954 261. I also have a later 261 that has the numbers shown in tclederman's link. If the block is a replacement block from Chevrolet, neither the serial number (as mentioned above) or the casting number is 100% proof of identification. I have a 1954 261 block (shown in the link above) that has a 235 casting number and no "Captain's bars." The block was purchased new from Chevrolet by the previous owner. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | hoyt,
I'd like to hear someone else's answer to your questions. Oddly, I have not checked my 1954 engines, but will do so tonight. My guess was that the change was made in late 1955.
Does anyone have information on locations for pre-54 235/216 engines?
Thanks, Tim
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,464 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,464 | Getting back to jmiller's question - I was at a cruise-in last Fri. and a guy came in with a '50 Chev 3100 with an engine that sounds a lot like what jmiller describes. I could find no casting numbers on the block and there was no stamped numbers on a raised boss behind the distributor. I finally caught up with the owner and asked him what the heck it was - 302 GMC. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Getting back to jmiller's question?
jmiller55,
Just post the codes you find and people will try to help you.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,464 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,464 | uhhh, yeah, I was suggesting he might have a GMC engine. | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | Perhaps a picture of the engine in question might help.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 15 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 15 | I pulled the distributor and there was a number in front of it between the fuel pump 3764476 it is a 58- 62 235 thanks for all of your guys help
Last edited by jmiller1955; 05/07/2009 1:49 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 | I found the following numbers on my 235 engine for my 1957 Chevy truck. To the left of the distributor the number is: F424H. To the right of the distributor the number is 3837004 GM 13. On the carb side of the head the number reads: 3836848 GM 28. On the frame right along the front driverside tire the numbers are: 1570114510. Can some one give me an idea if this is the original engine for this truck? Thank you for help. Jon 1957 Chevy 1/2-Ton TruckIn the Stovebolt GalleryMore pixThe coldest winter I ever saw was a summer I spent in San Francisco M. Twain If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you! If you don't like my carbon foot print, stick it up your Prius!! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Jon,
That is a 56-62 235 head. Someone else will have to help with the block casting code.
Is there a block date casting code (most likely on the lower left of the distributor side of the block)?
Tim | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 388 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 388 | According to one of the casting # links on the Inliners site, 3837004 looks like a 55-57 235. Hoyt | | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 | Tim I will take a closer look. Thank you. Jon 1957 Chevy 1/2-Ton TruckIn the Stovebolt GalleryMore pixThe coldest winter I ever saw was a summer I spent in San Francisco M. Twain If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you! If you don't like my carbon foot print, stick it up your Prius!! | | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 | Hi Tim and gang, OK I had to pull the starter off to find the ID. The number is: "CON4 D197" Does this mean it was January 1957? How do I check to see if this is the original engine for this truck? Thanks for the help! Jon 1957 Chevy 1/2-Ton TruckIn the Stovebolt GalleryMore pixThe coldest winter I ever saw was a summer I spent in San Francisco M. Twain If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you! If you don't like my carbon foot print, stick it up your Prius!! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | My guess:
D197 D = April (Dth or 4th month) 19 = day of the month 7 = 1957
You'll never know if it was the original engine unless (1) you have the original title/registration, AND (2) the original title/registration has the original engine number as the VID/VIN (it could be an engine code or a door-post-plate code).
Now, do you want to check to see if the head date-casting code is also for 1957?
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 | Tclederman & Hoyt, Thank you for the information. Next time I am up at my moms I will take a look at the original registration paperwork.
tclederman, The head casting number reads: 3836848 GM 28
1957 Chevy 1/2-Ton TruckIn the Stovebolt GalleryMore pixThe coldest winter I ever saw was a summer I spent in San Francisco M. Twain If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you! If you don't like my carbon foot print, stick it up your Prius!! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | We identified the head (above) as a 56-62 head. If you want to determine the year of the head, the location of the head date-casting code is shown in photo 7 in the link in my post above. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 | tclederman, Thank you for your time and link to the photo. Jon 1957 Chevy 1/2-Ton TruckIn the Stovebolt GalleryMore pixThe coldest winter I ever saw was a summer I spent in San Francisco M. Twain If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you! If you don't like my carbon foot print, stick it up your Prius!! | | |
| |