The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gdads51, Bill Hanlon, Joe H, chemanic), 82 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,339
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 49
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 49
I am planning on swapping out my rear axle on my 38 3/4 ton to a more modern one. If I find one with disc brakes, can I hook it up? I will still be using the drums up front, I'm assuming I will have to use a proportioning valve to balance everyting out. but will the rear still have too much braking power? I understand that the front should have more power than the rear.

how hard is it to put discs on the front? does anyone make a kit?

I replaced my orginal master cyl with a new one. and then I found a NOS forklift master cly that has a much larger bore. I think I can swap this in.

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
How many lugs on your 3/4-ton? The later 3/4-ton trucks have 8-lug hubs and there do not seem to be any conversion kits.

I believe some of the pre-Advance Design 3/4-ton trucks used 6-lug hubs, and if that is correct you might investigate using a disk brake kit for an Advance Design 1/2-ton on the '38. May not work, but might be worth checking out...

Another possibility to investigate is swapping a 1/2-ton axle under the truck to support the commonly available disk kits.

Read up on brake system hydraulics before swapping to a master with different bore. The relationship between master and wheel cylinder bores has a lot to do with pedal pressure and braking power. You'll want to make sure you have those issues under control.

I don't think I'd put disks on the rear with drums on the front. But if properly balanced I don't know that it would not work. But your brakes are too important to take chances.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 49
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 49
thanks steve!

yeah, I didn't think discs on the rear only was a good idea, but you raised another question, if the wheel cylinders are different- bigger in the rear, will that change my braking? will I still need a proportioning valve?

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
MAC 38,

There is a thread in the General Truck Talk forum titled "brake hose replacement". TCLEDERMAN enclosed a link to a site that has, among other things, info on proportioning valves, when and why they are used...just for your info.

Stuart

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
Also remember that the lion's share of the stopping is done with the front brakes. I thought about changing mine, but I didn't want to loose my 1 ton rating and went with kevlar brakes from www.praisedynobrake.com - they work very well.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
Seems to me 3/4 tons and larger already have larger rear brakes than front;adding disc brakes will increase the stopping power on the rear proportionally. It would probably be possible to make this set up work,but you'd have to consider how much line pressure you'd need to make rear discs work,how much pressure the drum rear brakes required,and how the difference would relate to the front brakes,then would your master cylinder provide enough pressure and volume to handle the change. You'd likely have to use a proportioning valve and I'd bet you'd have to replace the master cylinder. You might be able to connect and use the disc rear brakes directly VERY temporarily if you plan on converting the front to discs too but that would be very marginal and I wouldn't expect them to work right. Converting the front to discs might not be too hard;you'd need to build caliper brackets,make some rotors fit your hubs,and I'd SERIOUSLY consider whatever work it took to convert to tapered roller wheel bearings.
there's also caliper to wheel clearance to consider.You could very well end up changing to newer wheels or using spacers and longer wheel studs to clear the calipers.
OldSub is right-read everything you can about brakes before you start;brakes really are too important to just wing it.
Speed


1954 GMC 350
1957 GMC 1/2 ton
1962 Chevy C-30
1952 Chevy 6400 dump bed project truck
'98 Harley FLSTC
'66 Pontiac Catalina
'76 Chevy 1 ton Duallie
'84 Bronco II
'78 Dodge W-200
'81 Toyota 4X4 truck
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 49
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 49
thanks everyone... you all confirmed my thoughts that it wasn't a good idea. yeah, my stock rear brakes are huge, I MUST use the factory 17" wheel to clear the drums.
I think when I go looking for a rear axle, I will look for one w/ large drums.

What is the deal with the stock wheel bearings?

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
An interesting article on TV recently about the big manufacturers having trouble with rear disc brakes in snowbelt areas. Seems a lot of slush and such is throw up against them from the front wheels and causing rust and brake caliper seizing. Many have gone back to the drums on the rear. An interesting topic which most of us have never thought about.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 49
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 49
yeah, I have a 2004 2500HD and I have that problem, just when you are about to stop, under 3mph, the brakes completely let go. to say it is nerve racking is an understatement. Im about to pull the fuse on the ABS.

the problem is with the sensor that monitors wheel speed. they get rusted and mis-read; they think the wheel is locked-up and skidding.

Chevy dealer "fixed" the problem 3 monthes ago


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0