| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,115 Posts1,056,623 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 121 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 121 | My truck is dropping out of gear at highway speed and seems to be getting worse. Doing a little research and have determined that it is quite possibly the spring inside the shifter box that is mounted to the steering column. I got another one with the trans and engine that I just picked up and have it apart to clean up. My question is regarding the spring and what clearances should I be looking for? Read a previous post which directed me to a seller for a rebuilt. There is not a whole lot in there to go wrong/replace but parts sourcing is probably the issue. Thoughts, ideas??
1955 Chevy 3100
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | That does not cause jumping out of gear. The spring in the trans cover could be bad or slack between the input shaft & mainshaft. The teeth on the syncro unit can be bad. You are correct, there is not much to go wrong in the selector box. You can build up the parts with weld & sand down the mating surface of the cover to snug it up. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | hb32,
The three speeds have a history of a bad clutch gear that actually forces the transmission out of HI gear. If you can make this happen on command, hold a slight pressure on the shifter and see if it actually pushes itself up and out of gear...I'll bet it does.
This can usually be accomplished by loading the transmission in high gear then slightly backing off the throttle...POP, up hops the shifter!
Stuart | | | | | Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 121 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 121 | That does not cause jumping out of gear. The spring in the trans cover could be bad or slack between the input shaft & mainshaft. The teeth on the syncro unit can be bad. You are correct, there is not much to go wrong in the selector box. You can build up the parts with weld & sand down the mating surface of the cover to snug it up. Thanks for the info. I do have the back up trans that I plan on installing as soon as I get the engine for the fly wheel. I will clean it up, replace the clutch at the same time.
1955 Chevy 3100
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 | i had the same problem but it was only a linkage adjustment problem. ron
Ron, The Computer Greek I love therefore I am.1954 3100 Chevy truckIn the Gallery 2017 Buick Encore See more pix1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
| | |
| |
| |