Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (KEVINSKI, ronsway, Otto Skorzeny, Greg_H, 1955 1 Series, TrknGMC, TooMany2count),
157
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,142 Posts1,056,481 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 | I just picked up a 52 216. Which is in another post. Looks good just dirty from leaking everywhere.
The fellow I got it from has the rear end from both the 52 - and a 54. He offered me the rear end from the 54. The 52 was not his (he is a frame shop that does custom work and lowers cars) it belongs to the car owner. I believe it (the 54) is a sedan/car rear end. Is the gears in this rear end ones that I can use for highway driving in my 53 3100? Are they interchangeable. I do not care to switch to 5 lug. They are both enclosed driveshafts.
TIA
Dennis -there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 136 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 136 | No, they don't interchange. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 | Poop. Don't you hate it when you think you got something worked out - have it free - and it doesn't work.
I was hoping that I could put the pinion gear from the 54 in my 53 3100 shaft and change out the ring gear to give the 'highway gears.' Darn
What a shame.
Thanks Ole Memphis
Dennis -there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | That's why they get $400 for the set of gears. The cars with powerglide have the highway gears. They will fit the older trucks. 46 on back. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 17 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2005 Posts: 17 | Wrenchbender Ret: Ok, now you have my attention, my 1936 has a 4-10 rear end, will the 54 powerglide fit in the 36? | | | | | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 | the only way to use this passenger rear end in a truck is to use the complete assembly. I ran a passenger rear end under my 46 pickup for years worked great. I also wanted to keep the 6 lugs so stuck the 54 tube/gears into a 48 passenger axle assy which were 6 lugs. Splines of the passenger torque tube to 'U' joint of the truck are the same, all other parts are different. Had to make changes to axle perches to fit the truck. Long since have went to open drive line, much easier plus less headache than a torque tube to work on. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 | I hope I am clear on this.
The rearends from a 53 3100 and the 54 car are different lengths for the axles and torque tube. So, I cannot change the front gear pumpkin/gears. I cannot use the 54 car rearend and change out the axles to keep the 6 lug pattern. We are talking two different beasts.
Is this right? Is the gearing different?
TIA. I just had to ask.
Dennis -there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,513 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,513 | Wrenchbender Ret: Ok, now you have my attention, my 1936 has a 4-10 rear end, will the 54 powerglide fit in the 36? Look here for more info: http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/torque_tube_swap.htm
1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod You Tube | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | I'm not sure how far back that applies. The tech tip is a little confusing. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 | The tech tip is confusing.
I now believe this is a bad idea.
I do not want the rear-end to explode on the highway. I do not even know if there is an advantage to having the car gears anyway.
I am confused.
Thanks to all.
Dennis -there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 769 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 769 | Some things in life are confusing, but old trucks are quite simple.
This tech tip is only for 1946 and older 1/2 ton trucks.
If you want a 5 lug rear end; use the entire rear end. This includes the axle housing and torque tube.
If you want a 6 lug rear end; install the torque tube(with differential) in a 48 or older car axle housing. Use the 48 or older car axles.
Both setups require the spring pivot to be relocated. As well as the other modifications Jim stated in his tech tip.
Quite simple.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 | Thanks for information.
Freebees are not always Mana from Heaven.
I did learn that in 48 and older, cars were 6 lug. And that if a person had that rear-end and a 54 car rear-end that was from a vehicle with the hydra-matic transmission (automatic) they could use the gear set and relocate the spring pivot to give them a better gear set for highway driving. Zoom Zoom
Looks like when I have the cash - it would be best to get the gear set and installation kit from Patrick's.
Now, I am onto the quest of taking manifolds off the 52 216 and exploring whether I can lay it on it's side and drill the front plate for the 53 front mounting.
Any advice on that? Or should I ask this in another thread?
Thanks to all
Dennis -there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,513 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,513 | Any advice on that? Or should I ask this in another thread? Here is a template drawn by a fellow bolter: http://www.pbase.com/czechman/image/94465389It seems there are a few variations on the front mount holes. Mine were square which held carriage bolts from turning while I have seen others that have a plate tacked on the top side in between the holes to prevent nuts from turning when putting the bolts up from the bottom.  A search for that topic should bring up several threads and it seems you have a few options.
1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod You Tube | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 46 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 46 | Will the powerglide trans bolt to the 235/261 to complete the swap? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 769 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 769 | The PG will bolt up if you have all the 235 PG parts. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 46 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 46 | | | |
| |