| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (Danielbolt, Gdads51, SmalltownTRKGuy, Charles in CA, Bill Hanlon, Peggy M, 1 invisible),
90
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,092 Posts1,056,455 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#53093 12/01/2005 8:04 AM | Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 23 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 23 | My Uncle showed up with machined engine parts for a 235 chevy engine, Crank, Cam, Block, Heads, and then some. "It just needs to be put together", he says.
Well the Crank Cam and block is coverd in rust, no major damage from what I can tell. I can hone out the Block and the head is good. Can these parts be used as is after wiping them down with an oily rag? What is a good way to clean the Crank and Cam? They have been already machined. I did not want to use emery cloth or sandpaper. What should I look for in damage to the crank and cam?
Know where I can get engine rebuild manuel on a 1960 - 70 6 cylinder engine?
Thanks for the Info? My ND loadmaster engine is on her final climb.
You thought I drove a Ford! Where is my cresent wrench, I would like to adjust your thought pattern.
| | |
#53094 12/01/2005 2:07 PM | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 2,384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 2,384 | I used an engine once that had been machined & left for years w/o oil on the machined surfaces. It had fine surface rust but no pitting. I used a Scotchbrite pad & some diesel, worked fine, engine ran perectly. Brian | | |
#53095 12/01/2005 3:51 PM | Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 188 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 188 | Don't use sandpaper on journals. Find some crocous cloth. If they are rust pitted at all, take it to a machine shop, in fact, that's probably a pretty good idea, let them ck it out for you. | | |
#53096 12/01/2005 6:26 PM | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 920 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2004 Posts: 920 | Go to one of the chevy vendors and get a 1960 shop manual. Chevy Duty, All American Classics, LMC trucks, Jim Carter. All these guys should have them. Priceless info. Getting one and reading it should be the first thing you do. | | |
#53097 12/02/2005 2:32 AM | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 641 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 641 | yep scotch brite pad works on armetures to wont remove or hurt the metal | | |
#53098 12/02/2005 3:13 AM | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 | I would still have a machinist look over the parts to make sure. Bearing journals are something I want perfect on engines that I build.
52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup 68 Big Block Vette 68 455 Firebird | | |
| |
| |