The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (2-Ton, 1955 1 Series, Phak1), 126 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,091
Posts1,056,449
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 23
N
Junior Member
Junior Member
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 23
My Uncle showed up with machined engine parts for a 235 chevy engine, Crank, Cam, Block, Heads, and then some. "It just needs to be put together", he says.

Well the Crank Cam and block is coverd in rust, no major damage from what I can tell. I can hone out the Block and the head is good.
Can these parts be used as is after wiping them down with an oily rag? What is a good way to clean the Crank and Cam? They have been already machined. I did not want to use emery cloth or sandpaper. What should I look for in damage to the crank and cam?

Know where I can get engine rebuild manuel on a 1960 - 70 6 cylinder engine?

Thanks for the Info?
My ND loadmaster engine is on her final climb.


You thought I drove a Ford! Where is my cresent wrench, I would like to adjust your thought pattern.
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
I used an engine once that had been machined & left for years w/o oil on the machined surfaces. It had fine surface rust but no pitting. I used a Scotchbrite pad & some diesel, worked fine, engine ran perectly. Brian


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 188
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 188
Don't use sandpaper on journals. Find some crocous cloth. If they are rust pitted at all, take it to a machine shop, in fact, that's probably a pretty good idea, let them ck it out for you.

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
Go to one of the chevy vendors and get a 1960 shop manual. Chevy Duty, All American Classics, LMC trucks, Jim Carter. All these guys should have them. Priceless info. Getting one and reading it should be the first thing you do.


1962 Fleetside 4spd 235 w/O.D. posi 3:90
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2 5sp
2013 Ram Tradesman C/V
My Webshot Photos]
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
yep scotch brite pad works on armetures to wont remove or hurt the metal

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
I would still have a machinist look over the parts to make sure. Bearing journals are something I want perfect on engines that I build.


52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup
68 Big Block Vette
68 455 Firebird

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0