The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (RLB, Mr Crosswrench, 1 invisible), 109 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,391
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
Finally got my brakes working after retrofitting a modern power brake booster and master cylinder under the floor using the original pedal assembly. Now I could finally take my V8-converted '52 GMC 3/4 ton out for a drive.

First of all, the reason I converted is because #1, my 235 had a catastrophic failure, and #2, I could not find any 292 blocks in my neck of the woods, and #3, I had a spare 350 literally just sitting around that I pulled out of an IROC-Z that I got rid of.

So when I started the truck, it was like holding my breath hoping everything worked. It idles nice and feels similar to how it felt with the 235 except that it idles a LOT smoother. That 235 would vibrate through the entire truck, but the 350 just purrs. Starting off, my torque is a little better right off of idle than I remember it. But once the secondaries kick in, there is this strange and powerful surge that squeezes you back in your seat, then you shift, and same thing. It's no race car, but it sure has that intoxicating V8 thrust. That's the main thing that is different from the 235.

I chose to use the stock SM-465 4-speed transmission. There are bellhousings available to adapt a V8 to these trannies. I had a spare flywheel off a '68 Corvette that I was able to use, and bought a new '68 Corvette clutch. But literally everything regarding this conversion had to be customized. Nothing's very hard, mind you, but everything had to be engineered from scratch. I had converted to a crossflow truck radiator, a 3-core brass/copper, which worked good until the waterpump shaft came flying out of the waterpump and the fan tried to chew through the radiator, destroying it. That was the only complication. But between that and the original brakes going out on me last year, seems I spent that whole summer last year fixing stuff.

Finally I got to take it out. I know the cool factor is not nearly as great as having a stovebolt, especially if it's a big inch stovebolt. And nothing I've done is irreversable, so I can always go back to a 292 if I ever found one. But I've gotta tell ya, this V8 is a really nicely matched motor for one of these trucks, and the thrust is just the medicine this old truck needed. It's more fun to drive than ever.

I encourage the conversion for anyone thinking of it, but at the same time, my hat's off to anyone who chooses a stovebolt instead. Because yours are the coolest still.


52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup
68 Big Block Vette
68 455 Firebird
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 213
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 213
Congrats on getting your truck back on the road. I have to agree with you on the 350. I have one in my 60 C10 slightly modified and it's a lot of fun to drive. I have an automatic but a 4 speed would be even more fun.
Joe


54 Triumph TR2(rhd)needs total resto.
60 Apache 10 stepside shortbed
99 Excelsior Henderson
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Congrats on the first drive! Yesterday I drove my GMC with a 270, today I drove a much newer 350 powered truck. I can sure tell the difference when its time to accelerate into traffic!


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
OK Dad, but where are the pictures??????


~Jim
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
Gotta agree on the 350. I am running a 350 and 700R4 auto OD tranny in my 55.Its a great combination. Plenty of power,and good gas mileage.Course it also has an M2 frontend with power R&P steering and disc brakes up front.I drive it very conservitily,but it will do some serious a$$ kicking if I get into it.Someday I would like to build up a straight six with a 5 speed manual tranny,but it would have to be putting out some serious ponies.Probably a beefed up 292.

Last edited by dale937; 04/17/2009 10:12 PM.
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
Originally Posted by BIG CHEVY 3600
OK Dad, but where are the pictures??????
We have had the coldest and wettest spring I remember. Here it's almost May and we've had snow for the past couple of days. The truck is so dirty right now, and I really need a little time to clean it up and wash off the winter grunge inside and out.

As soon as springtime decides it's here to stay, or if it's halfway nice enough to get out there and do some cleaning up, I will take a few photos inside and out and post them.

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
I spent most of the weekend cleaning it up, since we finally had a few nice days and the late spring storms seem to have moved out. Then I ended up stepping the carb jets 3 sizes richer, and that made all the difference.

You know what, these trucks are like being in the middle of a big drum. There has to be some effective way of insulating them so that they are more pleasant to drive. What have some of you done to quiet down the roar coming through the firewall and floor?

I did take some digital pictures. Is there a good free site online that can host pics so that they can be posted?

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 183
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 183
The IT Shortbus has a good writeup on this. Ed


She's one 55 year old with a spare tire that looks good!
It's not rocket surgery. . . .


http://www.picturetrail.com/fredoly
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2412127
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
I looked that up. Thanks.
I uploaded my photos to it, and will work with it some more when I go home after work.

On other forums that use similar formats, you put the link to the picture between [img] and [/img]. Is it the same here?

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
"MONGO"
"MONGO"
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
Actually we prefer that you don't use the [img] tags to put inline images in posts, just post a link to your webshots or whatever. That saves the guys paying the bandwidth bills some green.

Here's the official write up:
http://www.stovebolt.com/news/2007/december2007/index.html#forum

Mongo


Mongo's Garage
Vintage GM Truck's & Parts
https://mongosgarage.com
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
Originally Posted by Hot Rod Dad
You know what, these trucks are like being in the middle of a big drum. There has to be some effective way of insulating them so that they are more pleasant to drive. What have some of you done to quiet down the roar coming through the firewall and floor?

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2579185030099708909LGozEL

I used Second Skin Vibration Dampener.


~Jim
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
Wow. That really looks good. Have you tried it on the road yet to see how well it works?

I've got to do something like that. Pull everything out and just go to town on it. What did you do about the lack of insulation where you can't get to it, in the area of the cab behind your head around the rear window?

And do you have a link where this second skin is sold at?

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,082
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,082
yes, i agree. the 6 cylinder stovebolts are way cool, but theres no replacement for displacement. i love the 350 in my 57.

leonard


1957 Chevy 3100 1/2-Ton
Photobucket pictures
In the Gallery
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
Okay let's see if this works.
Please view my pics at:
http://s664.photobucket.com/albums/...mp;current=52GMC.jpg&t=1240279632109

And:
http://s664.photobucket.com/albums/...urrent=GMCEngine.jpg&t=1240280076273

I'll test this myself as well.
What do you think?


52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup
68 Big Block Vette
68 455 Firebird

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0