The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (NJC), 151 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,117
Posts1,056,296
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 37
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 37
I realize that many of you have changed from 6 volt to 12 volt
I would just like to upgrade from a generator to to a 6 volt alternator.I can purchase the alternator but I am not sure what needs to be done concerning the wiring and conversion. would appreciate any help.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
I converted to a 6v one wire alternator on my 38. I left the voltage regulator in place for appearance sake. I connected the heavy armature wire (A lug on the generator) to the lug on the alternator and moved it from the Gen tab on the regulator to the Bat tab while leaving the wire normally attached to the Bat tab still attached. That allows the current to bypass the regulator & your ammeter still works normally.

You will have an issue with mounting the alternator to the stock generator location. You'll need a special mounting bracket & they are expensive. I used this one.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Charlie,

Have you tried Randy Rundle at 5th Avenue Antique Auto Parts? Randy has that bracket plus the 6-volt alternator (I think he's the source of ALL 6-volt alternators) and instructions. He has good tech tips on his site, too.

Good luck!
John


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 238
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 238
My Toto a'52 GMC uses the equipment ( for the past 2 years ) from 5th Ave. Randys stuff is first rate and comes with good instructions on what to do for installation . Randy is also a Great guy to BS with and will answer questions readily . ED H

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
So where are you guys buying your 6v alternaters from? New or usesd? Avalable at the junkyard?
Denny Graham
Sandwihc, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
I got mine from Quality Power Denny.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Ah yes, bout $120, that's not a bad price at all. Did it come with the pully or did you have to buy that seperatly?
DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
I had my choice of two size pullys. I did have to buy the mounting bracket.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0