The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 83 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,081
Posts1,056,318
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 33
J
j54
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 33
I was wondering if the hood latch panel from 53 and earlier were the same as one for a 54? I've noticed some of the parts companies list this part as being for 47-53 and some say 47-54/55. Also what about the center trim strip on the hood?.. is 54/55the same as 47-53? thanks.

Last edited by j54; 03/28/2009 7:35 AM.
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
i looked at LMC catalog and they don't have a listing for latch panel for the gmc but other parts are listed together as the same ie. hood bolt. ron


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

j54,

Are your referring to a Chevrolet truck or a GMC?

Tim


Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 176
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 176
j54,

If you are referring to a Chevy, I am very interested in the answer to this question too. Parts for 48-53 are much easier to come by. They can make a very nice substitute on my 55 first if they fit.

The 1929-1957 Chevrolet Master parts catalog seems to indicate the upper radiator grill baffle part number is 3700834 for 47-55 first. I may not be reading it correctly though because I have pics of two different baffles in my photos (look in the 54 grill album). The baffle I believe to be 47-53 fits O.K. but as you can tell from the pics there are some differences where the grill bolts on.

So in short I think they are different.

Look forward to hearing from tclederman as well. He has a ton of info on the 54s.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Eileen,

I am not much help on that hood latch panel. I have read peoples' posts here that the hood latch panels are the same for 47-55 and I have also read that they are different 47-53 vs 54/55. And, I have read what you posted above about the one part number in the MPC for 47-55.

jj54,

The hood strip is the same from 47-55 (but it different for Chevrolet vs GMC hoods).

Tim


Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 381
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 381
The hood latch panel will fit '47- '55 1st Chevy truck. The difference is on the '54-'551st ,there are 2 exposed rivet heads that hold on clips on the underside of the panel. The wiring for the passenger side head lights and parking lights were run behind this panel starting in '54, instead of passing over the top of the panel at the radiator core support top cross piece.

Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 33
J
j54
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 33
Yes I was referring to a Chevy, sorry forgot to mention that. Thanks guys.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0