The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (BCBill, Gdads51, Lightholder's Dad, joe apple, Hawkman, greenie-reddy, TUTS 59), 190 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,176
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#521282 03/26/2009 9:46 PM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 54
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 54
I am rebuilding a 261 to replace the 235 in my '51 3600. I have an oil pan from a 235 that is in better condition than the 261 pan so I would prefer to use it on the 261 block.

There are some differences between the two oil pans, however. The 261 pan has a vertical baffle for the oil pump pickup pipe as shown in this picture.

http://s578.photobucket.com/albums/...p/?action=view&current=OilPans-1.jpg

The top of the pans both have the same profile and bolt pattern and there doesn't seem to be any interference with the oil pump pickup when I test fit the 235 pan on the 261 block. Oddly, the 235 pan appears to have more capacity since the deep part of the pan is longer. The only other difference I can see is the location of the drains.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't use the 235 pan? Does anyone know why they would be different in the first place?

Joe W. #521312 03/26/2009 11:23 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

What year(s) for the 235 and 261. Through 1957, there were no difference in replacement pans.

I have also see tdifferebnt baffle arrangement in 1959 261 pan compared to a 1960 261 pan.

I do not know why your pans might be different, but I would use the 235 pan and just keep a close eye on the oil pressure gauge for the first few hundred miles over different driving terrains and speeds.

Tim


Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 54
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 54
Tim

The casting number on the 235 is 3769716 and the casting date code is D160, which I think means April 16, 1960 and the casting number on the 261 is 3769925 and the casting date code is C277, which I think means March 27, 1957.

Joe W. #521436 03/27/2009 5:08 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Joe,

Maybe someone who has a Master Parts Book that goes through 1962 will look up the part number(s) of the 235 and 261 oil pans.

Tim


Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
i have a hollander interchange book and it looks to me like they will not work. if you have an older salvage yard near by ask if they have the hollander interchange. it gives two different reference numbers. ron


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0