| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,132 Posts1,056,386 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 446 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 446 | My wife and I took the '65 sub out for a ride today. Sometimes it's best to drive it around to figure things out.
We have made a decision to put in bucket seats for easy access into the back. I will not put a second row seat in because I want the room for when we travel.
The rear differential really growls when letting off the gas. One of the first projects will be to remove the rear differential and rebuild it. The speedometer started bouncing all over the place so the cable is getting ready to break, just another thing to fix. The engine ran well, one good thing!!
We had a partial sunny day so I had a chance to look at the body a little better. The rust in the fenders and rocker panels are worse than I thought. I'm starting to think about just replacing both the fenders as a whole.
I have my work cut out for me, but that's why I bought it. It's going to be fun.
Iron Clad | | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 114 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 114 | Jeff,
I am jealous, this is one cool looking suburban!!
The great news is that (quote:) " my wife and I took the '65 sub out for a ride today". This means you have her FULL support and maybe she will even be out in the garage helping you rebuild the differential. Or maybe she will let you rebuild it in the bathroom tub!!
You may want to disconnect the speedo cable soon, before the speedo needle gets broken.
It does sound like you have some fun ahead of you.
Brian
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 446 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 446 | Thanks for the advice Brian, I will disconnect that speedo cable. I didn't know it would break off the needle but it makes sense though.
Ya, my wife seems excited about this project. Kind of weird isn't it? Maybe she figures it keeps me out of her hair!
Iron Clad | | | | | Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 321 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 321 | Yeah, it will break that needle off, I know that from experience. I had a '68 C10 once and the speedo needle started bouncing like that. It wasn't long and one day as I was going down the road the needle went all the way around the speedo, went back to 0, then spun around until it was spun right off. It was rather entertaining for a moment. I kind of miss that truck. I had a lot of memorable experiences with it. Like the time I watched one of my front tires run ahead of me.... That's a real hoot and a holler  Anyway, to get back on subject.... It's great that you guys got to take that 'burb for a spin and that the wife supports the project. I hope you guys have lots of fun going through it and getting it all fixed up. Should make for a first class travelling rig once you get it done.
1963 Chevy C20 Longbed Stepside 1978 Chevy K30 Custom Deluxe
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 446 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 446 | Oh boy!!! I bet that was a hoot and a holler!!!
Now that you say that, I had better go through the front wheel bearings as well. LOL!! Actually I was already planning that when I rebuild the brakes.
The list keeps growing!
Iron Clad | | | | | Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 321 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 321 | ...and that list will pretty much be never-ending...lol... I see you have the same mentality that I do. Tackle as much in one shot as you can, such as what you said about doing the wheel bearings when you do the brakes. I figure it's better to take it apart once instead of multiple times to fix different things.
1963 Chevy C20 Longbed Stepside 1978 Chevy K30 Custom Deluxe
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 446 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 446 | Absolutely!!
What sucks is when you plan and budget for a project, start that project and find a whole host of other problems. It always happens though.
My fear is when I take off the fenders and tear out the interior. Lord knows what I'm going to find.
I just found out that the drivers side door is rusted out on the bottom. I should have expected it since the rocker panels are rusted out. I can't complain though I knew what I bought and had planned for at least two years to restore. Heck, I only paid $800 for it.
Like I said to my wife, got to think about the final product when finished.
Iron Clad
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 114 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 114 | ... My fear is when I take off the fenders and tear out the interior. Lord knows what I'm going to find. ... Iron Clad I hope you find the "loot" from a big bank robbery job thats been hidden in your burb for years! | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 446 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 446 | No kidding. Then I can afford to do this project!! Perhaps this Suburban was owned by D.B. Cooper!! LOL!
By the way, my wife named the Suburban "Herman". So now it's "Herman the burban.".
Iron Clad
Last edited by Iron Clad; 03/23/2009 2:15 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 114 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 114 | If I remember correctly, D.B. Cooper jumped out of a plane, NOT out of a burban! | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 446 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 446 | LOL!!
By the way, your truck is FANTASTIC.
Iron Clad | | |
| |
| |