The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (NAPCOStormTrpr, Lightholder's Dad, Gdads51), 82 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,076
Posts1,056,280
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#511717 03/01/2009 5:05 AM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
OK I just started the restore on My 52 3100 last week and today I get a call from My son in laws freind , He's got a 3/4 ton long bed frame complete with motor all steering stuff everthing but the body and it's free come and get it , so what do You think go with 1/2 or3/4 ton short or long bed .I need Your thoughts on all this . Pete

Pete52 #511721 03/01/2009 5:17 AM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
A 1/2-ton will be cheaper to run and have a higher resale value, all things considered.

Front end will mostly be the same (springs, axle, steering), and the engine would be a straight swap. Spares are good, and you could flog what you won't use right here!


1951 3800

Be the change you want to see.
-hotshoe
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
I would stay with the 1/2 ton myself, but if you have the room,go for the 3/4 frame. Spare parts aren't bad either. Running board braces, front cross member, shock mounts, bumper brackets, engine, transmission,steering box etc.

GMONIZ #511830 03/01/2009 4:27 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 841
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 841
depends, if you are going to use it as a truck- the 3/4 ton will be way better. years ago i thought i would never have a 1/2 ton again after owning 3/4 and 1 tons. long story short i have a 63 1/2 ton and my 64 3/4. if you are just going to use it for "tooling" around the extra beef of the 3/4 won't be worth extra cost of gas and parts.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 334
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 334
Go with both trucks! Then you could have the best of each, and there's nothing like having more than one old Bolt!
Samantha


1954 Chevy 3100
Picked from the Field
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 513
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 513
I kinda like the 3/4 ton myself, and parts aren't that much more. If you would like a long bed go with it. Another thing is if you are interested in updating anything engine, trans, rear end,the 3/4 ton has an open driveline vs. the 1/2 ton has n enclosed. you could put a later modle rear end under the 3/4 ton easily and get more of road friendly gear ratio. you can't do that with a 1/2 ton without changing your trans


1949 Chevy 3600 Flatbed all orginal
1964 gmc 4000
1973 gmc 6000
2005 chevy duramax 4x4
1994 chevy 1500
Trucks are GM and Tractors are Orange

"I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom." - General George S. Patton
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 131
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 131
If you have to choose one, examine the "what am I gonna use it for" factor. If you want it as a working truck, the 3/4 will be more logical, but if you just want it to tool around town and get ice-cream, better with the 1/2

Personally.. I'd go with the 3/4 (Unless the frame is shot :-0)

Strike that ... I'd probably take both..


1952 Chevy 3804
My 1952 in the Gallery

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Raptor #512202 03/02/2009 3:14 PM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
I wish I had room for both , because I would enjoy building both I'll keep You informed on long or short. Thanks Pete

Pete52 #512216 03/02/2009 3:51 PM
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 462
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 462
raptor said it best

Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 467
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 467
I've got both Pete (not on road yet) but I'm liking the 3/4 as a good solid work truck. The tunabolt will be on the road this year hopefully. 1/2 ton (lobsterbolt) looks a little flimsy but still neat.

Last edited by mapleleaf; 03/02/2009 6:58 PM.
mapleleaf #512378 03/03/2009 12:44 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
I'll take the other 3600 if you don't want it!! grin
One more won't hurt!!


Robert C.
If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.

1950 3600
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
I'd go for the 3600. You can pretty much do the same things to both, but the longbed is so much sweeter. The only bad thing is the driveline. You can't get the traditional upgrades like roller bearings and disc brakes for a 3600 like you would for a 3100. The rearend with the 3600 is another issue. Whatever gearset you have, that's pretty much what you got to stick with. Maybe a 3600 truck with the 3100 front suspension and a later model 6 lug rearend out back, you would have the best of both worlds.


1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0