Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,108 Posts1,056,568 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 37 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 37 | I have a 64 C20 pickup with original power steering on it. I have been told this was usually a dealer add on. Basically it is a power steering pump and a hydraulic cylinder between the frame and drag link. Anyway it works real good and I like it. I saw a similar power steering hydraulic cylinder for sale in Classic Industries Catalog for 1955-59 Trucks Part # A0722.
Does anyone have this set up? Original or add on?
Sounds like a nice add on for my 59 Apache! 1959 Apache 3200, Standard Cab, Big Window, Fleetside, 235/3spd, Original Paint 1964 C20 Standard Cab, Fleetside, 283/Power Glide, A/C, Pwr Steering, Pwr Brakes, NoSpin | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 446 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 446 | This is a question I'm interested in also. I'm trying to help someone figure out a way to add power steering on a '55 Chevy with a 235. The pulley's only have one groove for a single belt. I cannot find pulleys/harmonic balancer for a 235 to handle two belts. Any ideas???
Iron Clad | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | The original used a special generator that had the pump built into the back of it. I'm thinking that there was a double pulley for the 235 in the early 60s, though. Perhaps a passenger car application. As to the conversion kit itself, very pricey. I considered it, but the cost (plus the need to add a pump/pulleys setup) turned me away from it. That was 12 years ago, and the price has gone up since then.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 | If you can find a 261 out of a bus it probably has a double sheave balancer.
Paint & Body Shop moderator A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 446 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 446 | Would this fit the 235? Center hold diameter? Well, it could be altered. Thanks for the tip, I keep a look out.
Iron Clad
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 81 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 81 | I remember that the "add on" a/c units used a "bolt on" pulley in front of the harmonic balancer. I installed one on my 1968 apache in 1963. meansam | | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 37 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 37 | I was planning on using a generator/pump setup from a car. I will have to look under my 64 C20 and see what else is there besides the hydraulic cylinder and the hoses.
After doing some research I turned up two 58/59 trucks that had the original power steering set up, but no pictures. One of the trucks is a fellow Stovebolter, but again, no pictures. 1959 Apache 3200, Standard Cab, Big Window, Fleetside, 235/3spd, Original Paint 1964 C20 Standard Cab, Fleetside, 283/Power Glide, A/C, Pwr Steering, Pwr Brakes, NoSpin | | | | | Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 13 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 13 | I have the power steering kit in my 59. I also have a crate 350 so I have all the necessary drive pulley's and pumps to run it. the previous owner put it in and I don't really know much about it. I know I had to have a mechanic repair the kit when I snapped a component and he made me sign a waiver before he would let it back on the road. But I've never had a problem with it that I didn't cause. Let me know if you need any part numbers or pictures and I'll be happy to help you out. My e-mail at home is [email protected]The hardware kit is $95 from Chevy duty http://www.classicparts.com/1947-59-Power-Steering-Conversion-Kit/productinfo/76%2D977/ They have a deluxe kit but it doesn say what it comes with http://www.classicparts.com/1955-59-Deluxe-Power-Steering-Kit/productinfo/76%2D982/
59 Fleetside Longbed-350 Crate 76 Jeep J20 Ambulance 2007 Wrangler X
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,099 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,099 | The unit that CPP has that resembles the factory set up is way too expensive and in my experience does not give a good feel of the road. The classic parts kit uses a late Saganaw self contained PS box. I prefer the Toyota conversion. It is also sold by various suppliers. All of them require modifications to various steering components. The Toyota and the Saganaw also require mods to the column. Fred
1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes 1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes 2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans 1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 37 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 37 | Thanks Fred,
I finally had some time to look under my 64. Besides the cylinder and pump there is another device mounted on the end of the pitman arm. Two hoses go from the pump to this controler and two hoses go from the controler to the cylinder. (I think is saw this set up on my friends 66 Mustang GT) Not really sure how it works, but I bet it is the same basic set up that was on a few of the 58/59 trucks. 1959 Apache 3200, Standard Cab, Big Window, Fleetside, 235/3spd, Original Paint 1964 C20 Standard Cab, Fleetside, 283/Power Glide, A/C, Pwr Steering, Pwr Brakes, NoSpin | | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 37 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 37 | Would a factory assembly manual show something like this? 1959 Apache 3200, Standard Cab, Big Window, Fleetside, 235/3spd, Original Paint 1964 C20 Standard Cab, Fleetside, 283/Power Glide, A/C, Pwr Steering, Pwr Brakes, NoSpin | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | original style, 55-9 assembly manual, RPO 350, Hydraulic steering
Bill | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,099 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,099 | The aftermarket unit which is similar to the factory set up uses a Ford control valve. Ford used this system for many years. GM used it from 55-64 on cars and through 66 on trucks. One of the weaknesses of this system is that it supplements the standard steering box. If you have wear in the steering box or other steering components it becomes worse when the PS is installed. I installed the aftermarket system with a good front end and steering. It performed well at low speeds and parking but was not at all good on the road. Fred
1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes 1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes 2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans 1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 37 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 37 | Thanks Guys,
I have an assembly manual coming soon too. 1959 Apache 3200, Standard Cab, Big Window, Fleetside, 235/3spd, Original Paint 1964 C20 Standard Cab, Fleetside, 283/Power Glide, A/C, Pwr Steering, Pwr Brakes, NoSpin | | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 37 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 37 | I found a power steering set up from a 58-60 impala. (The kind with the hydraulic cylinder) I wonder if this can be adapted to work on my 59 Apache front end easily? The only things not included are the generator/pump combo assembly and two hoses.
Last edited by Texasdeere; 04/16/2009 3:29 AM.
1959 Apache 3200, Standard Cab, Big Window, Fleetside, 235/3spd, Original Paint 1964 C20 Standard Cab, Fleetside, 283/Power Glide, A/C, Pwr Steering, Pwr Brakes, NoSpin | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | the truck power steering was prolly quite similar to the cars - the assembly manual should have the details in the RPO section .... good luck finding the pump  Bill | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 | I installed one on my 1968 apache in 1963. meansam How'd ya you do that? 
Bruce | | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 37 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 37 | After comparing the assembly manual pictures to the parts on ebay, while it works on the same principal the parts are not the same. 1959 Apache 3200, Standard Cab, Big Window, Fleetside, 235/3spd, Original Paint 1964 C20 Standard Cab, Fleetside, 283/Power Glide, A/C, Pwr Steering, Pwr Brakes, NoSpin | | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 39 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 39 | If you search the internet for harmonic balancer you will find several companys that specialize in rebuilt balancers and on any of the ones I found you could get a rebuilt 235 two pulley balancer so they must have come from the factory at some point,They are pretty expensive about $280 | | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 141 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 141 | Hey, Guys, I went through this wringer m'self with my '59 Apache. Of course, mine has a 350 engine with GM PS pump. The first time around, I used a mid-70s Corvette PS system which is virtually identical to the '50s truck PS system. The valve unit goes on the drag-link and supplies the ram unit that pushes the cross-link back and forth. Old Ford trucks used virtually the same system with a slightly different valve unit. I note in passing that the wheels don't make a sharp left turn due to the tire striking the drag-link. I eventually went to a 'real' PS box, but that's a different story (as well as a pain in the butt!) Incidentally, one can buy these remanufactured older Vette PS system fairly cheaply compared to the advertised truck units. Regards, | | | | | Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 108 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 108 | Apache, I have a friend with a 55 2wd, 350, 4 spd. He would like to add power steering. Do you have the details to the best parts to get to do this the best and easiest way? I thought I saw power steering kit for sale on here a couple days ago, cannot find it now. Anyone remember seeing this power steering kit(s) for sale?
| | |
| |