The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (2-Ton, rfs56trk, J Lucas, Pete O, Barry Martak), 84 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,489
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
Hi Guys,
Anyone have a tip for stopping interior door handles from slipping - splines are pretty smoothed out on handles, and on latch mechanism ?. I can't keep them tight enough with screws.
Thanks


1940 Chevy KC 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 217
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 217
I've used a small strip of leather. Wrap it around the splines or any way you can. This helped on the spline issue. I'm looking for the inside door mechanism for my 46. They are pretty loose, worn out so I hope some one has a line on where to get some new or rebuilt ones.

Rick......

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 154
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 154
Has anyone thought of trying the liquid form of J B weld. I have on an occasion or two tried it and was supprised how much punishment that stuff can take. The liquid form is harder than the paste or stick form.

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
Hi west..........I had thought about liquid weld, but was concerned I would never be able to get handles back off if needed.


1940 Chevy KC 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 154
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 154
Your concern about once using the J B weld and not getting the handle back off is a good question & concern. I am thinking that even though the stuff is great I would think that one sould still be able to carefuly pry the handle off. I do know that once J B weld has been used heat has no affect on the softening or making it workable. Wores case senerio then the handle needs to be damaged in a way to remove. Replace it now or later if you at some point may need to remove. I good fix for now.

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
Brit,
If it was me, for a quick fix I would get some small Cold Roll pins and position the handle were I wanted it to stay and drill straight throug the handle and shaft all the way ...tap in a roll pin and call it done.
If later ya want to remove just use a pin punch and drive out the pin.
Just a thought.
Tim


1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0