| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,139 Posts1,056,454 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#50726 09/29/2005 4:21 PM | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 125 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 125 | I'm considering replacing the rear end on my '49 1 ton dually with something else to increase the speed a bit and make finding brake parts a little easier. The problem is I don't know what else might fit. I want to maintain the dually and don't really intend to replace the original engine (216) or 4 speed transmission. I also want to keep the PTO for the hydraulics 'cause I think that's what help make my truck unique. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've come across some discussion on late '70s dually rear ends being a possible solution but I haven't found anything real helpful so far. What would be up and/or down sides of the various options - given that I don't have a real shop to work from and can't do much of my own "heavy" work? :confused:
Thanks in advance for the suggestions and help. Jim | | |
#50727 10/04/2005 3:46 AM | Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 452 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 452 | Is the rear the same as the 3/4T? If so, then get a pumpkin from a 67-72 with 4.10 gears. Should just bolt in. Speed will omprove, but load hauling may suffer with the torque loss.
Current fleet (subject to change w/o notice) \'49 GMC 3/4-Ton , 60 Austin Healey Frog-eye Sprite (some assembly required), 2011 Dodge Avenger, 2015 Jeep Cherokee. No, they don't all run. My other ride is a (B737)no, (B767)no, A320.... Update... was Embraer E190, now Boeing B787. Knowledge is a wonderful thing, but ignorance means you don't know you can't do something.
| | |
| |
| |