The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (1955 1 Series, Steelonsteel, 55shaker, GRNHydra, 51sub, Wally / Montana, Peggy M, Hotrod Lincoln), 81 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,141
Posts1,056,471
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 95
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 95
I have and I'am working with 3 count'um three service books/manuals for my 1951 GMC 3/4 ton pickup,The 1947-1954 models 100 thtru 400 GMC maintenance manual,a reprint from jim carter which I'am told is realy a 1954 manual and will be of little use to me,but it has come in handy! A 1947-1954 truck factory assembly manual also from Jim and a reprint and the most valuble and most often referenced book I've got.And a booklet Servicing chevrolet "truck cabs" 1947- 1948 also a reprint.If any of the fellow stovebolters have or are familiar with these books,please help!! Go to page 17 of the cab service booklet and see how the remote control rod is in the channel and flush for the the door panel and mounted at the bottom of the handle pivot.Now go to the factory assembly manual to sectoin 1 sheet 1.05 and 1.06 and see how the remote control rod over laps the channel out of the channel and is mounted at the top of the handle pivot! This is the same way its shown in the GMC manintence manual on page 85. Which is right? and why? I did'nt have the luxury of taking this apart. I have the pull down handles not the push button type.I know this should be simple!Could one of you guys roll me down the driveway and pop the clutch on my brain so at least I'am running. Thanks

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
The illustrations in the Truck Cab booklet are of an earlier door. They had the connecting link running parallel to the recess in the inner door panel and attached to the bottom of the remote control handle. This required that the handle be pushed forward to open the door if the handle is pointing down.
This was changed in (don't quote me on the exact date) the late forties and there after the connecting link ran on the diagonal from the top of the remote control handle and a pull back then opened the door.
I'm assuming that it was for safety reasons and they did not want to re-tool the dies to accommodate the change.
There was a block of foam rubber about 3/4"x 2" glued to the inner door panel about midway behind the link to keep it from rattling.
There was a discussion about this a year or so ago and you may be able to find it in the archives, that is if your really good at searching the archives.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; 02/07/2009 2:31 AM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 95
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 95
Thanks Denny that shed some light on the subject.I see what you mean about the archives!I did'nt find anything about AD remote door latch releases,but now I know what grit disc to use on my DA when I file my toe nails


Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0