| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,140 Posts1,056,466 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 20 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 20 | Is the frame for both the 3/4 and 1/2 the same or is there a difference? I have a 3/4 ton with the 8 lug wheel pattern and would like to change all that and make it 6 lug 1/2 ton. TIA Don | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 874 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 874 | What year truck?? The Advance Design series 3/4 ton frame is longer and the back half is narrower than a 1/2 ton. The fronts are dimensionally the same. I believe the 3/4 frame is a little heavier ga. is all. A 1/2 ton front axle of the same vintage will bolt in. I do know that a Task Force series 1/2 ton rear spring pads are within 1/2" of the 3/4 ton rear...close enough to make it work. Most other donor rear ends will need the spring pads relocated.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 610 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 610 | I second that the 1/2 ton axle of the same vintage will bolt in. I wanted 5 lug disc brakes for my 52 3/4 ton truck so I swapped out the 3/4 ton front axle for a 52 1/2 ton axle I got with my truck when I bought it. Was the easiest swap I ever did and all I swapped was the axle. The 3/4 ton steering and suspension parts all bolted/mounted up to 1/2 axle no problem. The only difference I seen is the width of the 1/2 ton axle is slightly smaller than the 3/4 ton axle, just about a inch or two. The distance from center of leaf spring mount pad to center of leaf spring mount pad is the same on both. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 20 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 20 | These are both 49 trucks. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | I would suggest changing to an open rear instead of using the 1/2-ton closed driveshaft on the 3/4-ton frame. Get something from a Task Force or later six-lug truck and the conversion will be easier than trying to make a torque tube work on the longer wheel base.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 452 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 452 | Actually, you already have an open driveline, at least at the axle. The torque tube only goes back as far as the carrier bearing. You should be able to get a u-joint to connect the driveshaft to a 55-or-later rear axle.
Current fleet (subject to change w/o notice) \'49 GMC 3/4-Ton , 60 Austin Healey Frog-eye Sprite (some assembly required), 2011 Dodge Avenger, 2015 Jeep Cherokee. No, they don't all run. My other ride is a (B737)no, (B767)no, A320.... Update... was Embraer E190, now Boeing B787. Knowledge is a wonderful thing, but ignorance means you don't know you can't do something.
| | |
| |
| |