The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Wheelie, tclederman, Woodcmiami), 113 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#499868 01/31/2009 3:20 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14
I need external oil filter lines for a chevy 261. I bought new ones from Jim Carters, but the ones I got are 1/4" grease gun hose and are way too small. The originals are 5/8". I have tried every equipment and tractor repair shop in town and no one can make new. Any ideas on a source for new or used?

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

What are the sises of the holes in your block?

I think the by-pass filter lines were 1/8" NPT; and. I think the 1957 261s should have a by-pass oil filter. The 1958-1962 261 full-flow filer lines are 1/2" NPT.

When you say 5/8" lines, what are you measuring?






Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
Any hydraulic hose shop should be able to make those hoses for you. Do you have the old ones they can copy?

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
Roy is correct. i had mine made locally in a hydralic shop. They had the stuff already in stock so it was in and out with the lines and connections. 1/2" is the correct size. Here are the photos if that helps: http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2587806810080243953dZeZCu


Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14
You guys are right, the hoses are 1/2". The block has galvanized plumbing fittings in it. I have taken them ( the hoses) to every local hydraulic and equipment repair shop in Springfield with no luck. I removed the plumbing fittings and the oddball adapters. Instead of trying to reproduce the cobbled up junk I had, I think I will do what Virginiafiretruck's picture has with longer hoses that run directly to the block.

Thank You

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
Wish I were closer, I could build them for you where I work. Our parts store makes some of the wierdest hoses. Have to get a little inventive sometimes.


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0