The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (TUTS 59, Napco Man, WICruiser, Chris's 46 / 515), 128 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,090
Posts1,056,443
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 493
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 493
I thought this looked like a cheap simple solution to run a 6 volt radio on a 12 volt system. http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/article.php?id=040

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I think this is a nice design piece that somebody has worked out. It apparently can supply 10 Amps.

thanks, Neilroy


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 90
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 90
Good info, I've been looking for a setup like this to build. Thanks!


1960 GMC Panel w/ 305 V6, 4 Speed TV Repair Van "The Monitor Lizard"
1961 Chevy Apache 20 283, 4 Speed, Hydrovac
www.picturetrail.com/starchief
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Yes, that is a very nicely done design and an excellent article. Adding the power transistor gives you 10a. The whole shebang shouldn't cost any more than a MacDonald’s happy meal.
I appreciate the effort these guy put into things like this and then they offer it freely to the membership. Definitely good people.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; 02/01/2009 8:46 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 493
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 493
I built this and it works just fine. The total price was about $20 but I also got a 10 pack of the diodes and some heat sink compound. That is if you can fine a heat sink out of something. I used one off of an old dead 60's am radio.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Hey Neil, ya got a couple of pic of that
board/unit that ya made? Where did you
find the power transistor?
Denny G

Last edited by Denny Graham; 02/05/2009 1:38 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 493
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 493
I will shoot a photo when my wife gets back from her nephew's wedding with my camera. I used an NTE181 power transistor. It crossed to the 2N5881 even though it doesn't look like it will handle as much current. http://www.nteinc.com/specs/100to199/pdf/nte180.pdf It seems to work fine so far and was all I could find locally. If it passes away I will order the 2N5881 online.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
That transistor orta work just fine in that application. The only retail outlet store where you can walk into and buy something off the shelf is Rat Shack and they are removing more and more inventory daily. The largest power transistor they list now can only handle about a third of that current.
I buy mail order from Mouser but hate to place a small order and usually end up buying ten times what I need just to justify the UPS shipping costs.
Denny G


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 169
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 169
A good place for the DIY crowd to buy electronic parts is www.digikey.com

They don't have a minimum for small orders, quick ship, and good prices. I use them all the time for this type of thing.

Paul

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I have used Digikey too. They carry a lot of good electronics.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  truckernix 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0