| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,096 Posts1,056,483 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 217 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 217 | Ok, here's the deal. I want to preserve the original 216 in my '52 burb so, I bought a 261 to replace it. For originality, I know it should be gray. I'm going to paint the 216 gray when I pull it from the burb and keep it in storage to keep with the burb. My 216 is currently orange and I'm thinking of painting my 261 orange as well but, I've also considered blue. My burb is red and I'm considering painting the engine compartment while the motor is out. When I did this similar thing to my 54 pickup I had the engine bay painted black and the motor blue. It looks nice since my pickup is blue but, I think this would look odd with a red burb. So, I need some opinions for what you think would look good. 54 Pickup engine bay 52 Burb Engine bay 261 Before cleanup and paint | | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 425 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 425 | I would leave the firewall body color- supposed to be that way. The inner fenders and radiator support are supposed to be low gloss black. However, paint it whatever color you want. You could also paint the motor to match the truck, just get some PPG ALK paint mixed up to match. This all depends on your tastes, not ours, personally I like the original look on these old trucks. If I wanted to customize things, I'd make everything the same color to give it a clean look. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | If you're not going to keep it original you've set a precedent. Paint it whatever color strikes your fancy... at this point it's entirely subjective anyway. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 217 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 217 | | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 615 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 615 | Yup what Chec said..For years mine was orange(55 2nd series)..The trucks been torn down and is on the way to being put back together..this past summer I stipped the engine and painted it BLACK!!! I love it and it never looks dirty. Go for it..you only live once.
Keith
Last edited by Slickriffs; 01/26/2009 9:41 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 54 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 54 | I also will be painting the 261 in my truck. The 261 is a JOBMASTER and from looking into differnet articles, color was originally painted green or sometimes yellow. Can anyone else confirm the type of green for the jobmaster 261?
Eric | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | It's called Alpine Green. Jim Carter sells a spay-can paint but I found it to be very thin and not very tough (I think it is a Pioneer Paint). A PPG code has been posted here and you might be able to find is by searching (I'll search for it tomorrow). Pioneer Inc. Automotive Products, Meridian, MS. Fat Drying, Heat Resistant, Engine Enamel (11 oz spray can). Product Code: T-23V ALPINE GREEN (UPC: 27993 06720) PPG paint information from bowtietim | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 54 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 54 | Thanks TC, I see eastwood now is selling ceramic engine paint and they have a John Deer green. Will check with the Alpine green to see how it compares.
Eric | | |
| |
| |