The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Nick in Manitou, Wayne67vert, 1955 1 Series, Oswald, Woodcmiami, MRMEROTH11), 147 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,124
Posts1,056,334
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 14
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 14
Hi,
I have a chevy 51 1/2 ton and I need to change the front wheel bearings. On americanclassic
I found upgrade conversion kit, BR2600.

Is it better than the original bearings ? Who tried ?
Does it match without problem or can I do some modifications ? (I don't use brake disk).

Kind regards.

Steve

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I swapped to roller bearings when I went to discs because it was recommended. With standard brakes the ball bearings would probably last 100,000 miles or more. I'd consider the price difference.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
If you need to buy new wheel bearings it,s best to go with the roller conversions. If your bearings are OK I would reuse them. They are no broblem to change over.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 14
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 14
Hi everybody,

Thank's a lot for your informations.

Steve

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 8
1
New Guy
New Guy
1 Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 8
I have managed 480,000 miles on my original ball bearings. I don't think there is anything wrong with their design however I have a set of roller bearings to fit my car and I figured if my originals ever wore out I would change them.
As long as you know which type you have and adjust them properly they are both excellent. Design wise the roller bearings should be more efficient. It's up to you you pays your money and makes your choice. Just make sure to adjust them properly.


Series 6-30B Pontiac
Assembled in Regina Saskatchewan
June 6, 1930.
Happy Hobbying
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
1911 commer- Could you, or anyone else, post the number stamped on the bearing in the kit you've got together with the year it is supposed to fit?

The people that sell those expensive bearing mark them up quite a bit. With the part number you can go to napa and they'll put it in the computer and sell you the same piece for a less.

Thanks!

PS-(I already converted my '51 to the newer style bearings, when I put in the disc brakes, and paid full price for 'em)


'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0