| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,129 Posts1,056,695 Members48,452 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 888 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 888 | I am to the point of purchasing new rims for my 4t6. I've been leaning heavily towards 8 lug trailer rims. Well I made the call to Redneck Trailer to check availability and they had what I wanted but I wanted the lady to verify the backset and she said she would call me back. She called a little later and said the old timer who worked there forever did not reccommend trailer rims for a vehicle. She couldn't/wouldn't give me any reasons why other than they were made for a trailer and not everyday use. I said I use my landscape trailer daily. What's the difference? I'm guessing liability? I still leaning towards using them. Comments? Opinions? Thanks prior Dan | | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 | Dan, Here is what little I know bought trailor rims, on my Bass Boat trailor the wheels are stamped "NOT FOR VEHICLE USE" and the tires are a bit special also as they are for trailors only ..stiffer sidewalls? best i can figure, I asked the Stratos Dealer abought puttin white letter car tires on my trailor an there reply was NO!...just that fast. Im sure there are experts here that will have more knowlege on the difference between trailor wheels and vehicle wheels. Tim | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 11 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 11 | Unique Wheel manufactures some excellent wheels for 8 bolt applications. These you can put on heavier trucks no problem. one of the biggest things is the offset of the rim. usually the hub diameter on these wheels doesn't matter if your using conical lugs. The hubs are usually made bigger for a universal fit. Trailer tires and tires made for cars and light trucks are VERY different! especially bias ply trailer tires. these tires are designed to run out better after they warm up, and typically can cause a trailer to bounce as it goes down the road. trailer tires are designed for trailers. there are times when car wheels and in rare cases when a car tire can be used on a trailer though it is not recomended to use a car tire on a trailer. trailer tire's typically are designed to hold more air than a car tire and usually can hold a higher load. there are light truck tires that work great for extra loads and are what i would recomend if towing a 5th wheel or for use on dually set ups. i would check with your local tire place to find the right set of wheels. you don't want to be messing around with spacers when all you need is the right wheel. What size wheel are looking for? try to stick close to the original size for best fitment and clearance of drums/calipers.
Last edited by Dorf123; 01/21/2009 4:13 AM. Reason: I put US wheel when i should have put Unique wheel, sorry.
| | |
| |
| |