The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (TUTS 59, 1 invisible), 89 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#495108 01/19/2009 2:44 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 36
O
Apprentice
Apprentice
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 36
Does anyone know where I can find the packing/gasket material to rebuild the torque tube on the rear of the '35 transmission? I could only think of a large "O" Ring, but I don't think it would handle the stress of the movement. The old ones are very hard and brittle. Any suggestions please. Thanks

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
Actually a rubber "O" ring which is grease resistent will work. I've used one successfully. Pretty inexpensive, too.
Joe smile


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
felpro kit #ES72843. universal joint set.
1-cr5158 u-joint packing
4-729 universal ball collar gasket
1-cr18280 u joint ball collar
4-18290 u-joint retainer shim

chevy truck six 1935-56

i got mine from napa

Last edited by 51 ashton; 01/20/2009 1:08 AM.
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
If I was doing it, I would use the Felpro kit and substitute the "O" ring.
Joe smile


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

I'm not getting into the pros and cons of the o-ring but I do like specific information so that people can make choices.

Is the o-ring in question on this catalog page (from the Filling Station)?

If the link does not work, the part number is FS-4356 at The Filling Station (which has a catalog that works oddly at best in some web browsers).


Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 36
O
Apprentice
Apprentice
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 36
Good options for sure. Thanks guys, I will let you know down the road which one was the choice.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
That could be the correct one, but what I would do is take the bell that slips on the end of the torque tube and the two flat rings at the back of the bell that are inside the hand tightened screw on ring and go to the "O" ring store, find the right size and buy it. According to The Filling Station, the price is $.75. Another thought would be to call The Filling Station and ask there "O" ring will work on your particular drive line.
What ever you do, the point is that IT WILL NOT LEAK with a rubber "O" ring. It's easy enough to either find one locally or call and order one. You have to take the assembly apart either way. I would fix the problem so you don't have a problem anymore.
Joe smile


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0