The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 106 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,181
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
I plan to put PS on my 41, but intend to use the stock column. What is the best way to acomplish this? Fabrication is expected, but how do I best separate the original column from the old gear box to allow the easiest and best re-attachment to a modern PS box. Will I need to add a lower bearing to the mix? Just would like to have a better idea of what to expect when I get there. FYI this is a COE big truck and the column will attach to an Isuzu npr box in quite a vertical format. I will use a sb350 and GM PS pump if it matters. Thanks for any insight.


When I yield to Him, it's amazing how peaceful and enjoyable life is meant to be.

1947 Chevy COE
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More photos
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,215
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,215
For sure you will need some sort of lower bearing in the column tube, and some way to cut the shaft so a adapter will bolt on. I believe they call it a double D steering shaft. You will have to pull the shaft out of the original gear box though the bottom and cut the worm section off.

On the Jalopy Journal web site they have a tech section going this month, one of the items is building a low dollar steering column. Its pretty interesting.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317238

Joe

Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 39
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 39
Try this...

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/1947_59_Trucks/Column_Saver.htm

From what I understand, you cut the outer mast jacket long enough to protrude thru the toe board, cut the inner shaft a little longer, and install this bearing kit in the end of the mast jacket. You then attach a univeral joint to the end of the inner shaft. They have the column savers in 1.5", 1.75" and 2.0" diameter.


1938 HC half-ton - Buford
1954 Chevy 3600
2024 Chevy Colorado
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 77
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 77
I just cut the outer column shaft to be just a few inches from the toe board and used the same bearing as the upper one. I let the inner shaft run a few inches out to attach the necessary universal joint. I had a second steering column that I stole the inner shaft out of to make the filler piece between the toe board and the steering box. There are several styles of universal joints that will make the necessary bends required to get to the steering box and around the engine. Make sure your u-joints are properly aligned.

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
Thanks for the input everybody. That is what I was thinking, but it is nice to hear from others that have done it.


When I yield to Him, it's amazing how peaceful and enjoyable life is meant to be.

1947 Chevy COE
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More photos

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0