The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Robert Crandall, Bill Hanlon, TGP), 150 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,228
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#487949 12/30/2008 6:57 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 77
6
'Bolter
'Bolter
6 Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 77
Hi,
I've recently bought a 1961 Chevy panel truck.
LWB, 1 ton, 8 lug wheels, 8-17.5 tires.
It's a pretty decent size truck.

It came with no drivetrain,
and now I realize no parking brake!
My options I guess are:
1) Transmission that has a parking brake (Can a driveshaft brake be added to any manual trans?)
2) Try to add a cable operated parking brake to present rear
3) Swap rear for different one(with parking brake)
4) Swap backing plate and entire brake assembly from later rear onto my old rearend.
Ideas welcome!

This is a resto-rod type of build up, so I want to keep it mostly stock except for drivetrain.
The engine will be a 292 Chevy six to begin with.
Maybe a swap to a Cummins 4 cyl diesel later on.

Pete

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 227
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 227
Hi Pete...

Best bet is to look for the 4-speed transmission with the brake attached. Let me know if you need a picture; I think I can find one. I do not think the parking brake setup will fit any other transmission.

Otherwise the best bet is to change the rear end. Then you can look for a C10 brake setup. You will just need to get a longer main cable since you most likly have the 9' bed size (panel).

Hope this helps.. Russ

Last edited by cssreb1; 04/14/2009 12:17 PM.

1960 Chevy Apache (C10)
1965 Chevy C30 Dump Truck
1966 Chevy C30 Tow Truck

Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0