Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,088 Posts1,056,413 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,644 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,644 | While taking the '50 1/2 ton for a spin around the block today she died on me. Everything was going just fine until she coughed a couple of times and died. Managed to get it restarted and backed around to head home and she died again in the street. Walked back home and brought a friend with a Jeep and 5 gals. of gas. Wouldn't start. Pointed her downhill and popped the clutch.........VaaaRoooom! Got nearly all the way home and she coughed, sputtered, and died again. Chris towed me home. He noticed a big black carbon spot on my driveway where I had started her up. Tried again and she started up so I could put her in the garage.
Any idea what's wrong with the truck? I'm thinking fuel pump, or clogged filter. It has NO inline filter. Chris says maybe fouled plug or plugs. By the way, it's got a 216 ci. with 3 on the tree. Any help would be appreciated.
Spot
Chuck 1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original) 1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod) 1941 Chevy coupe 1938 Chevy coupe streetrod | | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 137 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 137 | Choke stuck? Carb might be running to rich | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 161 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 161 | did it stall when you accelerated or when you idled? under acceleration it's probably too rich, carbon spot points at that, too. fuel pump is easy check, disconnect fuel line from carb and crank it, if gas comes out the line pump is good (and filter not clogged). probably for a carb kit. get an expensive one, is well worth it over the $15 ones | | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 211 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 211 | Did the truck smell strongly of gas (any more than usual, it IS a stovebolt)? | | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,644 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,644 | Yes, it died when I was giving it gas. Not much though, but I was accelerating. Tried pumping the pedal and that's when it died on me. And nope, didn't really smell of gas any more than it usually does. I do have to play with the choke knob each time I start her up to get it to run right under load. Seems it's been more figity with that more than usual lately now that I think about it.
Keep the suggestions and ideas coming guys.......I need all the help I can get. I'm no mechanic! Just handy with a wrench.
Spot
Chuck 1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original) 1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod) 1941 Chevy coupe 1938 Chevy coupe streetrod | | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 211 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 211 | There's always the chance your choke plate is loose and staying partially down when you take off the choke. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | Your fuel line inlet (pick-up tube) is plugged inside the tank. Pull the hose off of the pump and blow air back into the tank to clear it. Then inspect your tank to see how bad it is inside. Then probably order a new one. But I'm only guessing here. Let us know, Scott | | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,644 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,644 | Thanks Scott........that's not something I would have thought of. I'll pull the hose off and blow back to clear it, but don't know how to check the tank without pulling it out. I may have to do it if this fixes it. That will tell me that it's clogging with crud in the tank.
Will check the choke plate too.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!!
Spot
Chuck 1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original) 1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod) 1941 Chevy coupe 1938 Chevy coupe streetrod | | | | | Joined: Aug 2008 Posts: 38 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2008 Posts: 38 | One more thing to check especially if you have recently replaced the gas cap. These trucks require a vented cap or they have similar symptoms. Run a ways and then act like they are running out of gas. After it stops for a while you can start it up or after you open the gas cap to put fuel in it because you believe you ran out of gas. I went through three new caps that were supposed to be vented on my 51 Mercury before I got one that was actually vented. A sure sign is if you hear the sides of the tank pop back out when you open the gas cap right after it stalls out. I would still check the choke and check for a plugged fuel line though. Both are pretty common things on these old rigs. I would also suggest putting an inline filter between the tank and the fuel pump. That has saved my bacon more than once and it is a lot easier to replace a filter than a fuel pump or carb.
48 Chevy 3100 going back together with a 292 six and AX15 five speed.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,644 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,644 | Question.......how do I go about inspecting my gas tank? Scott says to do this to find out if there's crud in it. After I pull the seat cushions out what's next?
Spot
Chuck 1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original) 1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod) 1941 Chevy coupe 1938 Chevy coupe streetrod | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | pull the sender and look inside with a flashlight?
Bill | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 843 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 843 | Spot,two things I'll add.If you blow back into the tank,take off the cap first.To look in the tank,remove the fuel gauge sender on top,and look in with a flash light OOPPS I see Bill beat me to it
Last edited by BC52; 12/16/2008 9:09 PM.
| | |
| |