The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
10 members (Gray_Ghost, Nick in Manitou, Gdads51, Jon G, Otto Skorzeny, Hotrod Lincoln, walter74, LAROKE, 2 invisible), 107 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,131
Posts1,056,372
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#47896 07/19/2005 3:06 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 65
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 65
I have a 1950 3100 and am considering swapping the rear axle & torque tube with one from a '51-'53. I am right in assuming this would be a simple install? I plan on using a 235 or 261 with a 3 spd. tranny so I want to keep the torque tube but also want to upgrade the Huck brakes.
Bob


1950 Chevrolet 1300
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 428
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 428
The rear would be a simple remove and replace.

I'm no brake expert, but Chevy also went with a larger master cylinder in 51, 1 1/8" bore compared with 1" in 50. Also decreased the size of the brakelines to 3/16" from 1/4" in 50 (except for the line from the MC to the first junction block)so not sure if you'd be better to switch those out also. The Hucks in my 50 stop as well as the Bendix in my 51. Just a little more of a hassle to adjust them.

Bob

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 65
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 65
Interesting, I had heard that Hucks didn't stop as well and that the parts were a lot more expensive. How difficult are they to adjust and how often do they need adjusting? Just want to make sure it is worth upgrading the front and rear to Bendix before I start looking for parts.
Bob


1950 Chevrolet 1300
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
Bob - Hucks arn't hard to adjust, they just have two adjusters on each drum, (one for each shoe). I would check the adjustment each time you change the oil, just as general maintenance.

As for cost of parts, I have just finished a rebuild on my brakes and the only parts that I thought were expensive were the wheel cylinders, around 50 bucks each but they are basically a one time expense. The brake shoes were about 25 bucks per axel.

I would suggest keeping the hucks. They stop just as well as the bendix. If you want upgrade to a brake that stopps better you might wnat to go to disks in front. Which is a lot more work.

Hope this helps.
George

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 428
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 428
Bob, Like George says, the only parts that were more expensive between the two were wheel cylinders. If you decide to keep the Hucks, shop around for wheel cylinders. The lowest price I found was from Chevy Duty about 3 years ago. I also adjust mine about every 1000 miles, which works out to about once or twice a year for me. I can tell when they need adjusting by an increase in brake pedal travel. Properly set up and adjusted they work just fine.

Bob

#47901 07/20/2005 12:42 AM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
I don't know about the costs of cylinders, but if they're too high check with a local parts store about getting yours sleeved.

Also, you shouldn't have to replace the differential to make the swap. Pull the axles and swap all the brake parts including the backing plate. And don't worry about the brake line size being smaller, the change isn't enough to make a difference. It did save GM some money when they built the trucks.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 65
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 65
If they only need to be adjusted every 1000 miles or so and stop as well as Bendix I might as well save myself the work and stay with the Huck. May look at a dual reservoir master cylinder though to make the system a bit safer.
Bob


1950 Chevrolet 1300

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0