The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jay R, Ridgeback, Phak1, Ponchogl), 71 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,683
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 59
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 59
What parking brake are you all running on your big bolts after swapping out the original transmission to one that does not have an E-Brake? I am going to swap the NV4500 into my 1957 COE but transmission does not have the rear parking brake on it. Is there any other way to add one?

Ryan

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 190
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 190
Should be some good sugestions coming, I will be interested to hear whats others have done. I have had no E brake since I got mine, looks like it has been that way for many years. I redid my brakes, but there was no sign of a E brake or any brackits for it, good luck with yours.

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
Is it air or hydraulic brakes. If it is hydraulic, it's not going to be an easy matter. You could install one of these http://www.mico.com/products/displaysubinfo.php?id=20 but some states do not recognize this as capable of stopping and holding the vehicle because it uses the hydraulic system. 50 years ago we carried blocks of wood with a rope on them and threw them under a tire.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
The NV4500 in some 2wd drive applications was available with a tail shaft mounted parking brake. That would be exactly what you want. Some UPS trucks had them, but good luck finding a UPS truck. You may find other step vans that do though.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
UPS cars are never sold. They keep them for parts and then sell the rest for scrap iron. However these guys deal in parts for step vans. We have bought stuff from them before and they have some knowledgeable live people. http://www.walkinvan.com/

Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 59
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 59
I have hydraulic brakes. I don't think there is an easy way to add a pinion brake on the rear axle without major fabrication work.

I wanted to use a dodge NV4500 in order to have a working speedo but talking to my wife I asked what would you rather have a working speedo or e-brake. She said e-brake. Well I guess I have to find a second NV4500.

Thanks, Crenwelge i will check there.

Ryan

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
There are adapters to run a mechanical spedometer with an electric piuckup, essentialy a variable speed motor. At least I thought I remembered reading about them on this site a year or two ago.

Or you could change your spedometer for a newer electric one, Stewert Warner makes some nice older looking ones.

There is a way to have both the brake and the spedometer.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
These guys can help you with a speedo http://www.zepco.com/Products6.asp

Last edited by crenwelge; 11/28/2008 3:52 AM.
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 59
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 59
Well thanks guys. I just got my wheels back from the powdercoating and refurbishing shop, wrong color and all. they are black instead of white, took 5 weeks instead of 1, etc. At least they did not charge me. Going to get tires today.

Ryan


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0