The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Barry Martak, Jay R, 2-Ton, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny), 157 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,416
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#473085 11/19/2008 11:17 PM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 36
6
Apprentice
Apprentice
6 Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 36
I currently have a 3 speed on the tree with a 250 c.i. and the 3 speed is getting worn out (leaking, speedometer gear, grinding, and 3rd is not high enough). I was wondering if a T-4 Borg warner will bolt up to my 250, because I found one for a very good price.

Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 125
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 125
I think the t-4 has the ford bolt pattern. Like a t-5 out of a mustang. I'm pretty sure you could use a jeep 2.5 to t-4 bellhousing or an aftermarket adapter to bolt it up, but then your "very good price" is sorta moot! Unless you can find the jeep bell on the 'bay or something.


Who is John Galt?
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 36
6
Apprentice
Apprentice
6 Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 36
Well maybe, but this one was out of a S-10 so i was thinking it would be the same, but thanks for the input.


1964 c-10
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 36
6
Apprentice
Apprentice
6 Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 36
And, the seller said he previously had it in his 235 inline, so i guess what my question is, will a tranny that will bolt up to 235 bolt up to a 250?


1964 c-10
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 60
2
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
2 Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 60
Yes it should bolt right up to your bell housing. Should have a 1 inch 14 spline shaft so you will have to change your clutch disc. Should be the same transmission as a T-5 with out the overdrive gear. You can add the right parts a make a t-5 out of it. I used a T-4 main case to replace a bad one on my T-5 and it all looked the same. Some of the jeep parts web sights offer a converson kit. So just go by the tech tips for installing a T-5.

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
T4 is a 4-speed version of the T5. same problems apply. -need to cut the input bearing retainer, extend the splines and cut off the pilot portion, or pull the input shaft and bearing retainer from a camaro V6


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 36
6
Apprentice
Apprentice
6 Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 36
Thank yall, I think i am going to take on this project,it should be interesting since this is my first real transmission work and I am only 17.


1964 c-10
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 125
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 125
Did GM use a t-4? The only ones I have seen are from jeeps and I think I saw a fomoco version. I have never heard of a gm pattern t-4. What did they come in originally?


Who is John Galt?
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 125
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 125
sorry, just looked at drivetrain.com and saw they were used in 83-84 camaros and 83-87 s-10's. You learn something everyday. I pulled a saginaw out of an '82 camaro and assumed they went straight to the t-5.


Who is John Galt?
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
I'm not sure this will solve all your problems. You stated that your 3 speed is not high enough. Unless this trans is an overdrive it will not change your final ratio which will still be 1:1. Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 125
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 125
I agree, I'm gonna run a t-5 in mine.


Who is John Galt?
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 36
6
Apprentice
Apprentice
6 Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 36
I realize that, but with a lower first gear I think I will be able to get a higher Rear End Gear.


1964 c-10
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
I doubt that the T-4 has a much lower first gear than the original 3 speed or the T-5. I think you could do the T-5 conversion much cheaper than buying the T-4 and then having to replace the rear end gears. You could also look into the factory overdrive that was available for a 65.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 36
6
Apprentice
Apprentice
6 Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 36
oh well, I have already bought it. Maybe in the future, if I don't like the T-4 I can look for a T-5. But if nothing else this will be a lerning experience for me. Also, if I do the conversion correctly, I will know what to do and how to do it for next time.


1964 c-10
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 36
6
Apprentice
Apprentice
6 Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 36
And I have looked into the "Gear Vendors" which bolts on behind your existing transmission and adds a lo/hi to every gear, but that price is through the roof. I have not been able to find the factory overdrive. Thank yall for all the input and advice.


1964 c-10
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
The T4 just lacks the overdrive. You would need to swap out the tailshaft and add the 5th gear. That is the beauty of the T4 / T5 family. kind of like mr potato head


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0