The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Otto Skorzeny, R&S 51 GMC, KEVINSKI, Bill Hanlon, Swami29, Phak1), 100 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,339
Members48,440
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 15
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 15
Hey all,

The hydraulic pump for the dump bed on my 1950 Chevy 1.5 ton is pretty leaky:

http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~willys/dt-pump-btm.jpg

But it does work. Any thoughts on the rebuildability of these things? Where is the fluid reservoir? Standard Hydraulic fluid or something else? Anyone know what kind of pump or dump bed this is?

A view from the top:

http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~willys/dt-mech-top.jpg

My plan is to make some sort of *very heavy* structure to prop the bed up so I can safely examine & fill everything...

Thanks for any thoughts...

-Dan

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Your hoist and pump is an old Perfection. That pump is about 14-15 gpm@1000 rpm as I recall. It uses a standard chevron style packing and newer replacement packing canbe had at any hydraulic repair place or industrial seal house. The cover plate gasket will most likely have to be made from paper or thin vellum. The spool valve has an O ring I think. I used to be a Perfection dealer but I have slept a lot since then.
The hoist model is likely to be a 715 or a 720/7020 which indicates 7" bore x15" stroke, etc. Used on 8-10' dump bodies. 10-14' platform bodies.

If the wear plates show bad condition (grooves, etc) they will be hard to come by as Perfection has been out of business for a long time.

A body safety prop can be made from a piece of heavy wall 2" pipe or 1" x 3" tubing hinge at the bottom to the subframe and notched at the top to fit under the body crossmember. It should be about 26=30" in length.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 15
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 15
Dave,

Thanks very much for the response! I'll let the group know what I find when I take it all apart.

-Dan


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0