| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (50Chevy3100, RdsLessTaken, DadsFirstPickup, tclederman, Cletus1950, Ponchogl, 1 invisible),
202
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,107 Posts1,056,225 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 581 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 581 | It's been awhile but a new Work-in-Progress log entry "Summer of My Discontent" has been posted. I've been lazy and hazy since the last BillyBob log entry and I haven't gotten much done. This episode deals mostly with replacing a rear main seal for the first time. Yeah, I'm gonna hafta do it again! Summer of My Discontent | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 | You don't have to do it again. Catch all the drips in a coffee can(I prefer Folgers) and pour back in the motor. Repeat as needed. I'm out of beer. Gotta go.
Drew
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 581 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 581 | Thanx fellas and thanx for the link, Lonnie. I should have known better. I was an architect and practicing artichokes know (or should know) the basics of all three of those materials.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I don't know about using a neoprene seal in a 54 but because your motor has shims, you have the opportunity to adjust the main bearings. If you are able to snug them up some, you will have a much better chance of stopping the leak. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,756 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,756 | I have a rear main leak on my 350 that has been to a repair shop twice. Still leaks like rain. Clutch now chatters from all the oil. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2008 Posts: 403 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2008 Posts: 403 | Little off track here but everyone using SS. Bolts If you happen to get one that galls on you just mix a little lite oil and valve grinding compound to loosen it up. Just squirt some on the bolt threads or arounfd the bolt and let it soak in down around the threads for a few minutes. You then can then move it back in forth most of the time. It may be only a little bit at first but keep putting the oil mixture around the bolt evenually the bolt will come free. We have used this method a lot of times around food machinery. Believe me it beats having to drill and retap a hole in the equipment.
62Blue 62Chevy in progress You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach3" Paul F Crichmore (Test Pilot)
| | |
| |
| |