| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,080 Posts1,056,288 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2008 Posts: 36 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2008 Posts: 36 | Howdy, Does anyone know a source for the valve cover stud seals for a '54 235? My catalog collection isn't helping.
Josh '54 3600
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | Is yours a 235 with a 216 adaptor for using a cast aluminum cover? If so check Patrick's or LaRowe & Sons if your wanting the grommet. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,464 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,464 | The valve cover grommets are available from several sources, one is Chevs of the 40's. The '54 didn't use these however, it would have come with 4 screws that went into the outside lip.
Could be someone changed the head on yours or converted it to the stud setup. If you want to post your head casting numbers someone around here can identify it for you. | | | | | Joined: May 2008 Posts: 36 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2008 Posts: 36 | I'll check on the casting number. This explains why the grommets are only listed in the catalog for earlier years.
Josh '54 3600
| | | | | Joined: May 2008 Posts: 36 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2008 Posts: 36 | I have the casting numbers but need ome help with identification.
The block is stamped on a horizontal machined surface just behind the distributor with 100917454 and forward of the fuel pump GM 3835602. The 0 may be a 9, it's a bit hard to see in the tight space. My resources say this is a 1952 235 car block if the 0 is a 9. I can't find anything if the 0 is correct.
The head is stamped 3835499 GM4. Patrick's and a restoration guide show this to be a 1954 261 truck head.
How correct is my research? Will this combo work? The truck runs ( not well yet) and the engine appears to have been in for quite some time evidenced by uniform distribution of old dirt and oil. If it is a '52 does it have full pressure oiling?
Josh '54 3600
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,464 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,464 | JB; The 3835499 head shows to be a '50-'52 216 head. If the block # is actually 3835692 then it's a '50-'52 235.
I believe the 216 head would bolt right on to the 235 block.
This would be a low pressure, splash oiler engine.
I got this info off the inliners.org website.
Maybe someone else can confirm or give some better info. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 388 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 388 | Josh,
Did this engine come in your '54 3600? it does not seem to be the original for a 1954 truck. The information that waldo53 provided seems to be correct. There are some other things to look at:
Does the engine have the "tall" pushrod cover plate that covers both the block and the head? That is used on all 216s and the early (pre 1950) 235 truck engines. I have never tried to put a 216 head on a 50-52 235. They both have the 15-bolt pattern, but I am not sure what to do about the side plate. Interesting question.
Does the block have the oil distribution plate, on the lower driver's side? That is a sure sign of a low pressure 235 or 216.
Hoyt | | | | | Joined: May 2008 Posts: 36 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2008 Posts: 36 | The engine came with the truck and looks to have been there for a long time. I pulled the fenders and got a better look at the block. It is indeed 3835692 and it does have the oil distribution plate I think. It looks like the picture in the Patrick's catalog. I don't have the indicated short oil line also seen in the picture. I do have an oil filter though. The head has the shorter covers and two sources call it a 261 leading me to believe that inliners.org may have a typo. Did the 261 have two rocker cover studs? There are no perimeter bolt holes for the 4 bolt cover.
Josh '54 3600
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,464 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,464 | HI Josh; Well, I checked a couple more sources and I'm convinced what you have is an older engine than original, a 235 low pressure engine.
Another source I checked showed the 3835499 head to be a '50-'52 235 head. A 261 head has a very similar number (3635499) and it could be easily misread, but the 261 head would not bolt onto your earlier block since it has a different bolt pattern and as far as I know all the 261's had the 4-bolt setup.
I'll keep looking, if I find out anything different I'll let you know. | | | | | Joined: May 2008 Posts: 36 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2008 Posts: 36 |
Josh '54 3600
| | | | | Joined: May 2008 Posts: 36 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2008 Posts: 36 | One more question for the experts on this subject. Can I reuse my '52 head if I buy a '54 block and gain full pressure lube or is the head integral to the problem?
Josh '54 3600
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,464 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,464 | Hi Josh; I'm no expert but I do know the '52 head (15 bolt) won't fit a '54 block (18 bolt).
If your older engine is good, I'd keep it for now unless you plan on doing a correct restoration. If you just want a driver, why not keep the ol' splasher for now (a lot of guys here have them and love them). It'll do a good job for you if operated within reason. Then, you could keep your eye out for a correct '54 engine and when that comes along make the swap.
Good luck with your project, whatever you decide to do. | | | | | Joined: May 2008 Posts: 36 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2008 Posts: 36 | I'm leaning that way myself. As much as I'd like to have a fresh and correct engine finances are not without limits. I'm compiling my options at this point as this engine has not been subjected to much more than a trip around the parking lot since the mid-seventies.
Josh '54 3600
| | |
| |
| |