The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 163 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#469244 11/08/2008 7:35 PM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 293
N
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
N Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 293
I bought a new wiring harness and started re-wiring my '49 Chevy 1/2-ton. It appears that full-load, unfused current is connected to one side of the ammeter. What prevents a short at this location through the gauge housing to ground? I see a thin paper insulator on the back of the housing. Is that it?? Seems like this set-up would be prone to a short. Are the lugs that penetrate through the housing supposed to be insulated so they don't contact the housing? Mine are not insulated. Again, it seems like a lug could easily contact the gauge housing and cause a direct short. Am I worried for nothing?

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
use a VOM & check for yourself

'''It appears that full-load, unfused current is connected to one side of the ammeter. '''''

that's one big reason why I am now using a volt meter and a three wire alt.
my.02


Last edited by carolines truck; 11/09/2008 12:18 AM.

Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 843
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 843
my 2 cents is an ammeter is a short in the wiring.I have a volt meter also

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 199
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 199
Well if you search a bit for my recent experience with my new harness and ammeter here in Electrical........ I had a goofy thing happen with my new gauge. The long and short of it ( I could not resist that) is the meltdown of my starter to ammeter wire and it was smokey scary! I probably caused it with an unsecured speedo cable but you are right about the potential. I rewired and put a new ammeter in and finally got it right. However, I will have a battery disconnect for as long as this truck.


~ Rasman
1971 Chevy C10
"Old Yeller"
Saga: "'Old Yeller' ... More than a Pristine 1971 Chevy"
1959 Chevy 1/2-Ton
In the Legacy Gallery


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0