Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,279 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 3 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 3 | Does anyone have any tech tips/advice for a frame swap made relatively painless for an AD truck? I drive and use my truck daily for work and pleasure and I'm not afraid to scratch her, she has a solid body probably will last for another 50 years but, the old frame is starting to make me wonder how long she will go, I've been using her for twenty plus years in the mud and on dirt roads as well as on the black-top, and I know metal fatigues, thanks in advance, | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 3,750 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 3,750 | Hi Tom. Welcome to the 'bolt. There are a few folk on this site who have done a chassis swap,using a later set-up from a junk yard. There are companys who build aftermarket chassis but obviously there's a cost! $$$$$$! Sit tight and some one will chime in soon! There are plenty of alternatives to swapping out the chassis,but it's entirely up to you and your wallet. Jock  1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in ScotlandIn the Stovebolt GalleryMore pix on Flickr. I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,299 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,299 | I switched the frame on my 54 due to a change over to hydra-matic driveline. I built up a rolling chassis of the new frame and then moved the body and driveline over. as far as a late model suspension goes, A-D Engineering makes a conversion kit to put an A-D body on an extended cab S-10 frame. http://www.ad-engineering.com/
Last edited by Greg_H; 11/06/2008 3:00 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 | go to www.mongosgarage.com he does s/10 swaps.
Ron, The Computer Greek I love therefore I am.1954 3100 Chevy truckIn the Gallery 2017 Buick Encore See more pix1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | heck, keep it for parts and get another stock ad........ some of these folks that need the better ride, engine, etc need a BMW and not a bolt..  Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 | Hi Tom - Welcome aboard! I'm not into frame swaps, but I know there have been several frame swaps to S-10 frames with good success! I mainly wanted to let you know that my name is Joe Fuchs and I can identify with your last name. Do you pronounce it "Fox" or the German way? Good to see the name on this board ....besides me. Joe 
"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!" My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.Operators are standing by to take your calls! Now cruising in the Passing Lane | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 334 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2005 Posts: 334 | Hi Tom, I did a frame swap on my 54, due to to the original frame having bad rust-through behind the cab. I put it on another 54 frame that was in very good condition (it was from Greg H when he did his frame swap). If yours is in good shape it should last a long time. Samantha | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | Welcome to the Stovebolt!
The S-10 swap may be the best alternative, since two kits are available for that swap.
But unless you are looking at problems like cracks or rust I'd suggest putting new bushings in the one you have. You may be surprised how durable they can be.
After saying that I should admit there is an S-10 frame in my shop waiting for a swap...
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 | Actually the S10 frame needs to be from a regular cab truck with the long bed. There is a wealth of information on this swap in the archives or you can probably google it up. Be aware that this is not a week end swap out and takes much cutting, welding, fitting and fabricating.
Evan
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 3 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 3 | Hey Joe,
What a surprise, I had an uncle named Joe Fuchs, and I try to insist on the German pronunciation for the last name, thanks for the input as I try to weigh all my options, I'm probably going to use an S-10 frame with a kit from Advance Design Engineering as I think though they are a fair sum the product looks very good and easy for the most part to do, and can be done with no welding or raising the inside of the bed in one good weekend,have a good one, Tom | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | The surprise I have is that someone wants to swap frames from one with tougher gauge steel. Swapping a frame is a major job and I wonder what indicates you need to do this. If it is to gain IFS with a front clip I would understand the swap, but just because you suspect your frame has weakened??? A bunch of us here have done a "frame up" restoration on our trucks and I'll bet everyone would agree that the frame was as strong now as the day it was built. (exceptions of course make the rule). I would suggest if you're concerned about stress fatigue etc. you should pull the cab and check it out. If you are still concerned, box the frame and drive it another 60 years. 
~Jim
| | |
| |