The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Napco Man, Gray_Ghost, Phak1, Otto Skorzeny, 1955 1 Series, Southerntruck), 114 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,242
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
I was looking at the Website for HTP 3/16" and 5/16" size Combination Punch & Flange Tool they have. What should be good for me to restore my 52 with Hobart 140 MIG welder.

Any advise is appreciated..

Rgds.,
Ganesh

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 79
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 79
Either will work. The larger punch just gives more edge to weld and results in slightly more strength to the welded joint.


1949 "Heinz 57"
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 29
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 29
5/16 OR 8MM.I WOULD GET A PISTOL STYLE ITS EASIER TO SEE WORK AND GET IN TIGHT AREAS IF NEEDED.

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
Thanks guys, we have two different opinions and I am confused now. For 18 gauage steel, If I use MIG welder trying to fill-in 3/16" hole, will it weld through the bottom sheet metal or it can still hold up till I complete filling up the hole.

Ganesh

Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 169
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 169
Ganesh,

No, it won't "burn thru" the base metal if you get going and move around the edge of the hole (assuming good metal and proper welder setting). It's just like doing the edge of a lap joint, just going in a circle.

From your question you have not done this before. Practice is the key to welding. Either size punch will work. Get some scrap metal, drill a dozen holes of both sizes, clamp the sheets together and practice.

Everyone has their own method. I like to strike the arc on the base metal then go out to the hole edge and run around the hole, then pull back in and fill the center if needed. With a little practice you will have a strong bond and flat surface with little grinding to do.

Remember to move your clamps to each hole because any space between the two sheets will allow things to get too hot and burn back the edge.

Paul

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
Thanks Paul, that helps I am newbie to welding so I will practice before I invest.

Ganesh

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
I'd go for the smaller punch if I had it to do over. I'm finding the 5/16 won't punch heavier gauges of steel, like my floorboards for instance. I'm using a cheap step drill to prep my new parts.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0