The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (1955 1 Series, 3800GUY, Shade Baby, TooMany2count, Bluesky54), 131 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,274
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#457875 10/02/2008 11:55 AM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 20
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 20
do the headlamp doors on the 49 p/u attache at the top of the bucket then screw in the bottom ? the ones i purchased don't have any attachment on the top to hold them in place ? Also who has the best replacement grill assy. out there ? I have one other problem , my hood fits great until i attache the hood springs, which push the back of the hood up ( about 1 inch) where it meets the cowl ! are the hinges worn out ? the hinges are adjusted all the way down. Thanks for any help , Mark

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
The headlight bezels or chrome rings are hooked in at the top and secured by a single screw at the bottom. There is a set of clips that goes inside the headlight ring. They serve to hold the rubber gasket in place and also the top clip has a tang that slides into a slot in the top of the headlight pot.

It also sounds like your hood hinges are worn out. Look at the pivot holes in the hinge. If they are distorted and enlarged then they are worn out.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
heres a TRICK I learned here on the bolt, if your hinges are ok..take a chunk of 4X4 lay it the radiator support to hold your hood open then loosen the hing bolts and push the back of the hood down and then tighten them back up ...solved my hood lifting in the rear problem in like 10 minutes.
give it a try it may just work for you also!
Tim


1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 20
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 20
thanks , the hinges do have some wear at the pivots.where is the best place to buy the hinges . any thoughts on the grille. Thanks again

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 425
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 425
About that grill.... I purchased a new grille from a well known mail-order dealer... typical made in Taiwan junk! It would not fit.... period. The frame was a different shape. So, I used the old frame, had it powdercoated to the original color. Powdercoating will smooth out a slightly rough surface, much better than paint. I then took the grille bars from the new grill and attached them to the old frame. I could then mount it and does look ok. So if your original grill bars are in decent shape, have them re-chromed, and powdercoat your old frame.

I can't remember for sure, but I think I used the old clips from the headlight rings to mount the new rings. I would try to find a good used, original set of hinges.

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 20
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 20
are there any rebuild kits for the hood hinges.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
Yes there are. I think Jim Carter sells them.
www.oldchevytrucks.com


Drew

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0