The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Shaffer's1950, 1 invisible), 117 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,464
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#45655 06/01/2005 4:52 PM
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 44
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 44
I have a 216 in my '52 half ton, I am not able to rebuild the engine myself so will have to bring it to a shop.
This is going to be an expensive job so I'm hoping you guys can help me with determining just how much of a rebuild it needs.
Here's the story, it runs very well and starts up nicely everytime, however, it smokes so bad I cant take it anywhere that it would have to idle in traffic. I have done a compression test and found 5 cylinders have approxiamately the same compression and 1 without any. I did a leak down test and found the compression went up a little on the bad cylinder which I'm told is an indication that the ring is bad on that cylinder.
Also, I have oil leaks from a few spots underneath, but nothing so bad that adding a little oil once per season doesnt handle.

So, I'm looking at gaskets and the ring on cylinder #5.
When I go to a shop to talk to them about it where do I start in terms of what I need them to do. It would be great to have a complete rebuild but if I cant afford it is there a more affordable route I can take?

#45656 06/01/2005 5:00 PM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 148
1
Member
Member
1 Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 148
rings should be done in a set, do all six while your there.

if they can just hone the cylinders for you (if they don't need to be bored to clean up the walls or they are out of round)

then re-ring the pistons, and replace the bearings and gaskets, and be on your way.


2003 ford lightning
1959 chevy 36
#45657 06/01/2005 5:12 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 310
8
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
8 Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 310
Well, I agree with the re-ring and gaskets, but the 216 doesn't have replacable rod bearings (unless it has already been converted). Check the clearance, and remove shims as needed. Oh, yeah, and be careful to note how many and where the shims are located.


-Tim
'51 Chevy 3104 w/'56 235, 848 Head, HEI Dizzy, Corvette Cam, Split Manifold and Dual Carter YF's
#45658 06/01/2005 7:30 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
You should get a shop manual for your truck. With the guidance of the book and this board you should be able to re-ring and hone it yourself and save your money for other parts.(Plus the satisfaction you'll get doing it yourself) If you take it apart and the cylinders are scored make a boat anchor out of it and look for a 235 or a 261 which will drop in with minor modifications. Rings might just be stuck in the piston grooves on your dead cylinder. What if there's a sweet running motor in your neighborhood for a couple hundred bucks that you overlooked? No sense on blowing $1000 + to rebuild yours in that case. Just my opinion...

Curt B.


1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
#45659 06/01/2005 10:52 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 72
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 72
I agree with the upgrade in motor, one with full oil presure, 235, 250. There is a 1965 250 with a fourspeed tranny in our local thrifty nickel for $250. It runs and doesn't smoke. If I hadn't just bought a 72 4 speed tranny I would have opted for this setup, and I have a 235 in my truck already. And another 235 motor that doesn't smoke for $150.00. Can't beat those prices. I know you are far away and it would cost you $500 to ship a motor that far. If you have time search your local thrift papers or junk yards.

Dan Dilts
Woodland Park, CO


If you didn’t skin a knuckle while you were working on your truck, you weren’t working hard enough!

53 5window 1/2 ton
54 3window 1/2 ton

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0