The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (mick53, 2-Ton, stlcardinalsguy, Wally / Montana, Steelonsteel, Uncles51), 75 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,140
Posts1,056,464
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#456327 09/27/2008 5:55 AM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 239
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 239
I have watched Chevy/gmc trucks over the las 20 years and my favorite is the 62/3 burbs for a family hauler. how many were made? I'm thinking I'd like to find a decent driver.

Devin


If you can't hose it out it ain't a truck

55 3100
63 Corvair Monza
64 El Camino
72 240Z
01 Suburban
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
They are plentiful, but try and find one that isn't rusted. I like the GMC'S, they offer a little different style and are harder to find.

Here is one of my favorite ones. 1963 GMC SUBURBAN This one sold about two years ago and is in Sweden.

This is a well done web page with plenty of build pictures.

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 21
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 21
i'm currently building a 63 panel and a 62 custom cab. my opinion also that 62-63 were the best years. you can find them but parts for panels/burbs are hard to get-but worth it. Ive had to replace most of the metal on my panel just to make it decent. worth the work since i paid zero for the panel and do all my own work ?'s [email protected]

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
Go for the '63. I've got a '62, and absolutely freakin' love it, but the torsion bar front suspension is a wallet killer, as is a dual reservoir master cylinder conversion thanks to the hydraulic clutch. I also don't care for the '62 grill--it looks like an afterthought; they tool the twin headlight '60/'61 grill and just stuck a big cyclops headlight in the middle of it. The '63 grill is much better looking for the single headlight, but I like the '60 grill better with the twin headlights, and have added one to mine (I'm also going to add the twin-cowl hood with '61 park lamp inserts).

The '63 used a coil spring front suspension, which is easy to get parts for or convert to later discs by swapping in a whole junk yard cross member. Power steering is easier to add, and it has mechanical clutch linkage so there isn't anything to get in the way of the dual reservoir brake conversion.

They also started using the Truck 12-bolt in '63, which is easier to get parts for (though my '62 has the optional Dana 44, which is even easier and cheaper to get good parts for as it's still in production today).

As a little detail, the '60 and '61 instrument clusters could be had with full gauges, rather than idiot lights, and the '60-'61 kick panel vents were cable operated with knobs mounted under the dash. I like those better, and added them to mine as well. If you do, you'll need to add a notch to the kick panel for the cables to pass through.

If I had it to do over, knowing what I do now I'd look for a '63, but I wasn't really looking for a Suburban--it found me. The wrap-around windshield and knee-knocker cab is what does it for me.
-Brad






SOUTHERN FALL GABfest
October 6 ~ Commerce, Georgia
Details here!


Never Pee on an Electric Fence.
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 102
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 102
I've been working on a 63 GMC gov't 4x4 burb for 4 years now and love it. Had lots of help from this site. Like the front end!


Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0