Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,114 Posts1,056,605 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#45494 10/29/2003 12:03 AM | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 53 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 53 | What is the best way to clean carbon out of combustion chambers? How did all this sawdust get under the hood? | | |
#45495 10/29/2003 12:47 AM | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 687 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 687 | There are some pump gasolines (Exxon and BP, I believe) which claim to have additives that will clean up carbon valve deposits. Whether or not this is true I haven't verified. Maybe be worth a try.
-ftyler | | |
#45496 10/29/2003 1:09 AM | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 | Water or nitrous!
Since most of us don't have nitrous handy, except maybe Luke, use water. Start and warm up the engine. Trickle a small steady stream of water into the carburator while holding the throttle at fast idle. I use a spray bottle. Do it until it starts to bog, then stop and let it catch up. Do it a few more times, then change the oil. You will see a big black spot on the ground by your tailpipe and the combustion chamber will be quite clean. Just don't use your garden hose, you will hydrolock the engine if you use too much water.
Paint & Body Shop moderator A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. | | |
#45497 10/29/2003 3:05 AM | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,842 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,842 | Drive like you're mad?????? 
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | |
#45498 10/29/2003 3:40 AM | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,745 Member | | Member Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,745 | I used to call it "An Italian tune-up". It is taking someone's car and driving it the way it usually doesn't get driven. Max out rpm in low gear etc.
54 3100 with 235 62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
| | |
#45499 10/29/2003 4:20 AM | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,842 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,842 | Tony, I knew an Italian kid who use to boast about his heritage and how they use to tune up cars.
Salute'
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | |
#45500 10/29/2003 4:40 AM | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 70 Member | | Member Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 70 | sorry guys I work on new cars for a living, you dont use water any more it leaves rough edges on the pistons BG makes a cleaner that is 2 part. Part one you slowly drip in the intake system about 1500 rpm till the can is empty, you put the second part in the fuel tank 20 gal per can GM also makes a great top engine cleaner if you can find it. if you are having problems on yor new fuel inj. car try cleanig the intake system, they are finding carbon deposits on the back of valves cause problems If you want to use water make it hot as possible and add ATF | | |
#45501 10/29/2003 5:43 AM | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 | warren,,, won`t the ATF contaminate the sensors on a newer car? - - tree91,, what year vehicle are you working on?
There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us. - - Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
| | |
#45502 10/29/2003 2:00 PM | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 427 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 427 | What's wrong with just dumping a bottle of injector cleaner in your tank? | | |
#45503 10/29/2003 3:36 PM | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,842 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,842 | I second OldCarKook's question.
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | |
#45504 10/29/2003 5:00 PM | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 53 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 53 | I am working on a '52 AD with a '62 235. I may just dump a can of B-12 into the gas tank at my next fillup. I know how great the B-12 carb cleaner is, so I assume that the gas tank version is good, too. How did all this sawdust get under the hood? | | |
#45505 10/29/2003 7:25 PM | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 7 Member | | Member Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 7 | I have used a product called Sea Foam. Seems to work great, and got it at NAPA. Used it on my old International Scouts with good results. Just follow the directions on the bottle. Run engine until warm. Pour down the throat of the carb unitl motor stalls. Wait 15 minutes, and fire her up. Smokes like hell, so make sure the wind is blowing in the neighbors direction.LOL. Do a search at www.binderbulletin.org in the tech talk archives and you will probably find alot of info on it. Thanks Brian | | |
| |