The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 87 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,566
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 53
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 53
What is the best way to clean carbon out of combustion chambers?


How did all this sawdust get under the hood?
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
There are some pump gasolines (Exxon and BP, I believe) which claim to have additives that will clean up carbon valve deposits. Whether or not this is true I haven't verified. Maybe be worth a try.

-ftyler

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Water or nitrous!

Since most of us don't have nitrous handy, except maybe Luke, use water. Start and warm up the engine. Trickle a small steady stream of water into the carburator while holding the throttle at fast idle. I use a spray bottle. Do it until it starts to bog, then stop and let it catch up. Do it a few more times, then change the oil. You will see a big black spot on the ground by your tailpipe and the combustion chamber will be quite clean. Just don't use your garden hose, you will hydrolock the engine if you use too much water.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
Drive like you're mad?????? grin


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
I used to call it "An Italian tune-up". It is taking someone's car and driving it the way it usually doesn't get driven. Max out rpm in low gear etc.


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
Tony,
I knew an Italian kid who use to boast about his heritage and how they use to tune up cars.

Salute'


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 70
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 70
sorry guys I work on new cars for a living, you dont use water any more it leaves rough edges on the pistons BG makes a cleaner that is 2 part. Part one you slowly drip in the intake system about 1500 rpm till the can is empty, you put the second part in the fuel tank 20 gal per can
GM also makes a great top engine cleaner if you can find it.
if you are having problems on yor new fuel inj. car try cleanig the intake system,
they are finding carbon deposits on the back of valves cause problems
If you want to use water make it hot as possible and add ATF

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
warren,,, won`t the ATF contaminate the sensors on a newer car?
-
-
tree91,, what year vehicle are you working on?


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 427
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 427
What's wrong with just dumping a bottle of injector cleaner in your tank?

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
I second OldCarKook's question.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 53
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 53
I am working on a '52 AD with a '62 235. I may just dump a can of B-12 into the gas tank at my next fillup. I know how great the B-12 carb cleaner is, so I assume that the gas tank version is good, too.


How did all this sawdust get under the hood?
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 7
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 7
I have used a product called Sea Foam. Seems to work great, and got it at NAPA. Used it on my old International Scouts with good results.

Just follow the directions on the bottle. Run engine until warm. Pour down the throat of the carb unitl motor stalls. Wait 15 minutes, and fire her up. Smokes like hell, so make sure the wind is blowing in the neighbors direction.LOL.

Do a search at www.binderbulletin.org in the tech talk archives and you will probably find alot of info on it.

Thanks

Brian


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0